585,575 active members*
3,889 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Painting MDF

Painting MDF

I asked a question in one of my other threads about painting MDF. The general consensus was to paint it with the Rustoleum brand Hammered finish paint.

Today I was out on the Rustoleum website looking around and came upon an epoxy paint used for appliance finishes. You know, the really tough paint they put on refrigerators?

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=33&SBL=1

There is the link...

Can you guys tell me if this would be a good paint to use or should I stick with the Hammered finish stuff?

mvaughn - Mark
    I'll let you know in a bit.
    You prompted me to try the 2 out in a side-by-side comparison - I just laid down some of the Kitchen Epoxy (black) - had a little in a can. I can say it makes tired old range hoods look brand new.
    I noted the first coat of the epoxy shows a lot of the MDF "mottled" look underneith - we'll see after a couple of coats if it fills in. I did not prime the MDF - so that will account for the skuzz in first coat.
    When the epoxy dries - I'll put a coat of the hammered (silver) next to the black - shoot it then down load the photos - lalalala
    - maybe a few hours if you can wait that long!
    so grab a Beer, and :cheers:
    Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Wow! :banana:

Jim your reply is above and beyond what I expected.

I look forward to the results.

Cheers :cheers:

No worries Mate - had to take a break and watch Jon Krackauer on Everest again - tooooo cold.....
    OK here are the results :
    NOTES:
    1. No Primer or Prep so its a make it easy as you can comparison!
    2. No care about dust. spray boogies, etc. EASY again....
    3. The Epoxy Spray was 3 coats - very wet - heavy lay up, but I kept out sags (lucky I guess). Do it outside and wear a mask! Let it tack dry between coats. Set up very hard.
    4. BUT - for simple and smart application - I'd go with the Hammered - that's one coat in the photo --with a cheap foamie brush - minimal VOCs (no mask required) and toss the cheapie brush in the bin when you're thru. Mind you - you can vary the lay-up and size of the hammered effect with multiple coats - but hey - Its MDF - not a CAR!

:cheers: Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compare.jpg  
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.