585,758 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Router speed control

Im looking into varying the speed of a router. This is the router we are using.
    http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R2400-La...r/EN/index.htm

Im thinking since it has brushes, maybe its a universal motor, and I might be able to vary the voltage to it to decrease the rpm.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Router

I was considering that brand tool as welll!!!! I really like the warranty for life option. I have many Rigid tools and all seem to preform well. especially when it breaks and I get it fixed for free.....

Here is the model I was considering. It has a 1/4 and 1/2 collet plus 2 1/4 hp varible.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Heavy-Du...o/EN/index.htm

Are you talking about making it go slower than what it's rated? You'll need to know how the insides work a bit more. Most likely this can be done by using an autotransformer (can be had on e-bay for $40) and just decreasing the input AC voltage. There's also models that can have a motor attached to them to automatically adjust the voltage, so this also opens up the possibility of having the software control it as well.

I have one of the trim routers. Nice tool, has adjustable speed and soft start.

If you use an external speed control be sure to use an electronic control. Autotransformers will cause a spindle power loss as the speed slows down. Reostat type controllers will do the same. Electronic controllers will provide far greater torque at slow speed.

John

As in some type of PWM control?

Thanks!

As in some type of PWM control?
    he means something like this..
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43060
    There's also models that can have a motor attached to them to automatically adjust the voltage
    Some have attached small steppers to the POT and used Mach to control the speed.

Huh, very cool, didn't know those were made

However, it mentions that it will not work with a soft start motor, so it looks like it's not a viable option for the router you picked out.

http://www.cnc4pc.com/C18-Pot_Driven...trol_Board.htm

Claims it will work with ANYTHING

Bob

I have used a speed control similar to the one posted, as well as routers with built in EVS. The routers with speed control built in work very well. The external controls I have used are junk. The big difference is no feedback. The built in units can increase the current to compensate for load. The external ones don't and you lose power.

Speed control

Well Knowing that it will void the warranty!!!!!!!! You could probably remove the control from the tool and mount it in another enclosure and mod a varible out of that. Cheap routers available on ebay probably doesnt have to be the same brand.

May be worth a try.....We used to hack them off all the 7518 Porter Cable we used in our business and throw them away.

It has a built in speed control, what sucks is that it only ranges from 20K-30K. I was thinking some kind of Variable frequency drive would probably work pretty well, as torque wont be lost.

Thanks!

It has a built in speed control, what sucks is that it only ranges from 20K-30K
    I think the reason is its torque will drop significantly below 20,000. taking the soft start off may do what you want. then you can just use the standard router speed control listed above in posts. Again doing this would void the warranty. No matter what, At some point the speed will be irrelavent as the torque will not be sufficient to cut butter.

What are you cutting that will require a lower RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by tanky321 View Post
    It has a built in speed control, what sucks is that it only ranges from 20K-30K. I was thinking some kind of Variable frequency drive would probably work pretty well, as torque wont be lost.

Thanks!
    VFDs work with 3 phase induction motors not universal motors. For the price of most VFDs you could buy another more suitable router.
    Buy a Makita RF1101 or the Hitachi M12VC.
    Looks like Amazon has a deal on the Hitachi
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38220