585,992 active members*
6,309 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

plasma cam vs dyna

I want a used plasma cutter cnc. The plasma cam seems to have its share of problems. Which is the best used system under 10 thousand for light use.??

a few thousand more and you could get a new system..
    i'd scrounge and put together a system you can add to as you go..
    I havent seen to many used dynatorch systems for sale
    i've seen many plasmacams for sale used..

just my thoughts though, someone else will chime in with there thoughts

good luck

If you are going to use your table as a hobby it probably doen't matter what system you use. But if you are going to put it to work to make you some profit a DynaTorch system is hard to beat. They have a great product and great tech support. Just my 2 cents.........ken

the dyna torch does look good. a little more but..

You will see more and hear more about the PlasmaCam and Torchmate systems as each has somewhere around 20,000 systems operating in the field.

I have both in my home shop, both work well and have been trouble free. The PlasmaCam has great cut speed, accuracy and the best height control system. Torchmate has great customer support.

Don't make your choice entirely on price! It is necessary for best performance to have a full featured height control system and easy to learn, easy to use software for both drawing as well as cutting functions. And did I mention your need a good quality plasma....like a Hypertherm....to make it all work properly!

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by nc9933 View Post
    I want a used plasma cutter cnc. The plasma cam seems to have its share of problems. Which is the best used system under 10 thousand for light use.??

Quote Originally Posted by KjZitur View Post
    If you are going to use your table as a hobby it probably doen't matter what system you use. But if you are going to put it to work to make you some profit a DynaTorch system is hard to beat. They have a great product and great tech support. Just my 2 cents.........ken
    I had a DynaTorch that nearly put me out of business. VERY high operating cost. Motors would be considered "consumables". They are a small company with big company policies. returns and warranties are a real peach. I had over $2.2K in JUST shipping warranty items back and forth.

I would say just the opposite here, if you are doing this as a hobby a DT will probably be OK, but if you gotta run, look elsewhere.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    I had a DynaTorch that nearly put me out of business. VERY high operating cost. Motors would be considered "consumables". They are a small company with big company policies. returns and warranties are a real peach. I had over $2.2K in JUST shipping warranty items back and forth.

I would say just the opposite here, if you are doing this as a hobby a DT will probably be OK, but if you gotta run, look elsewhere.

WSS
    I will say that I followed WSS' lengthy thread about his servo issues. It would have kept me from buying a Dynatorch, however they no longer use that servo system.
    MY DynaTorch XLR8 has a closed loop Panasonic servo system.
    I cannot promise long term reliability as I have only had my machine installed for a few months.
    Obviously I was happy with their choice of systems or I would not be using their machine
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Why not roll your own?
    With the kits available from Tom at Cand CNC and CNC Router parts, it is very easy. The cost would be on par with those if you had to buy software as well, but you could get exactly what you want.
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Why not roll your own?
    With the kits available from Tom at Cand CNC and CNC Router parts, it is very easy. The cost would be on par with those if you had to buy software as well, but you could get exactly what you want.
    I did retro-fit the DT with a PlazPak 4 servo system from CandCnc almost two years ago. It cost just under 10K to complete. I was able to use We-cim with the new software which was huge for us. The system is stable and much smoother than the DT. It also has the floating head which triples the consumable life. It had some little quirks that were quickly resolved by the team at CanCnc and now it has been trouble free and ZERO warranty.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com