585,996 active members*
4,830 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DNC connection

Hi to all at the CNC Zone,

I have a quirky little problem with a dnc link to an old heidenhain 145 control from a y2k pc. The problem I get is when the 25pin to 9pin cable is connected, and I try to file transfer from the machine control to the pc I always get the error data transmitted incorrectly, I wonder if any body can help here, I have already spoken to Heidenhain to make sure I have the cable configured correctly and I do, so that is one problem eliminated but I have heard there is possibly a speed detection problem with the way the control or tnc speaks to the PC the baud rate is correctly set to 2400 on both sides of the connection so this seems to be ok. I am stuck at this time.

Regards

Allen

080331-0657 EST USA

Allen:

You have to provide far more information. I know nothing about your CNC control, I have no idea what a y2k pc is, and what is your definition of DNC?

My definition of DNC is Direct Numerical Control (drip feed).

2400 baud is a very low baud rate, but that should not be the origin of your problem. This baud rate just takes along time to transfer data.

What kind of format does your CNC require for the file structure? HAAS and Fanuc use this structure
    %
    O0234
    your program
    %

Can you send a program from the CNC to your computer? This is probably the place to start.

What handshake mode are you using?

Is your computer running Windows and what version?

Have you previously used a different computer and been able to communicate?

These are just a few possible questions.

My pc is (Y2k) is year 2000 compliant, so it is up to date, it is running windows xp home.

I am trying to transfer files with heidenhain TNCREMO this is already compliant with the Heidenhain Tnc 145 control on the bridgeport interact series 1 it is attached to.

My definition of DNC is direct numerical control.

The 2400 baud is correct for the control.

I am not using handshake.

The control has no program library it can only store one program up to 999 lines in length, so hence the fact I need to store the programmes I create on a pc and the control does not support drip feeding.

I cannot send a program from my computer this is where I started.

I have not tried a different computer as I only have this one.

The control accepts the program in the same format with line numbers.

080331-0936 EST USA

allen:

Year 2000 compliant is of no importance relative to anything except to time keeping. This had to do with the real time clock and how programs interacted with it.

Drip feeding and DNC by my definition are synonymous. Whereas as simply sending a program from one storage location to another is not my definition of DNC. I believe you are loading a program into the CNC memory, limited to 999 lines, and then executing from the CNC memory.

I have no idea what TNCREMO might do. Is there any indication that some other communication program could be used?

I misread your first post. Rereading it I believe you are saying you can not send a program from your CNC to the computer. Is that correct?

Assuming that is the case, then try receiving with HyperTerminal which is a communication program supplied with Windows. You may not be able to figure out how to use HyperTerminal. If that is the case let us know.

145 DNC

Dear sir,
    as far as i know,the TNC145 is not capable of DNC (Direct numerical control)
    and the HEIDENHAIN 151b is the first heidenhain controller which have the DNC ability.
    you can only use the simple file transfer over your CNC machine.

be in touch.
    s.baghaei

SCM Record 2

Hi, I have just purchased a SCM Record 2 . I am having difficulty in sending a file from my PC through software package Editcnc. There is no problem with the cable as it has been copied from the original.I am unsure of what the baud rate, parity and stop bits and data bits set up should be. If anyone can shed some light I would be very appreciative.
    Many thanks
    Chris.
    Sorry if this looks like a reply, this is my first contribution to CNC Zone and I can't see the New thread option.