585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Torchmate > Anyone use a Hypertherm P900 with TM height control?

Anyone use a Hypertherm P900 with TM height control?

This is my first post here.
    I couldn't find an answer to my question with searchs so:

I am looking at getting a bare bones Torchmate 1 DIY kit and make a 4x4 table for it.

I am short cash and have found a Hypertherm Powermax 900 for sale cheap that has harldly been used.

I emailed Torchmate to see if this unit would be ok to use.

The response i got was:
    "If you want to purchase our Arc Voltage Height Control unit I would NOT recommend this cutter. It’s not high frequency so it can work with the machine if you just want to get a “machine torch” holder and attach it to the gantry that way. But, if you want Height control, you’ll need to get a cutter that is compatible with it and the Pmax900 has never been tested so we don’t know if it will or not."

While i am going to attempt to get by with just a hand torch end and no height control to start with, i want to to get the height control as soon as i can afford it for obvious reasons.

Has anyone used with Hypertherm P 900 with the height control to know if it works ok? I know getting a new 1000 series would be better, but for less than half the price i thought i'd ask.

Thanks

The Powermax 900 will operate just fine with a height control system. It is the earlier version of the newer Powermax1000. It is a great unit, and parts and service are readily available through all authorized Hypertherm distributors. There is an upgrade torch available (the T60) which makes it cut faster and with longer consumable life...it is available in both a hand and machine version. The original torch however is just fine...I used the 900 for years on a PlasmaCam machine.

Jim Colt

Thank you for the reply. That is great news for me!

With the 900 some models had a Machine Interface Board, these are compatible with our systems. Without it you may have to contact Hypertherm to find all the connections you will need to make.
    Mike @ Torchmate.com | www.Torchmate.com
    Toll Free : (866) 571-1066 M-F 7:30am-4pm PST

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@Torchmate View Post
    With the 900 some models had a Machine Interface Board, these are compatible with our systems. Without it you may have to contact Hypertherm to find all the connections you will need to make.
    Are you meaning the little round plug in the back with all the round holes in it for a plug to go into?

He said it had one, but it does not. I'm probably better of to get somthing else now.

Can you use Hypertherm consumables on a Thermal dynamics machine?