585,560 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Off sets? and MecSOFT for Tormach?

Off sets? and MecSOFT for Tormach?

Looking at the Tormach for the first time. Seams like a capable little package. I have been looking at used CNC knee mills for my shop for proto work and doing light production tube notching. This unit seams like it would do it with no problem. It’s been almost 10 years but I used to use a Haas VF2 and did programming in MasterCAM and EZCAM. I did a light amount of MDI work at the control panel for basic stuff as well, but man it’s been along time hard to remember all the commands! Bottom line: M00 for me too long.

Right now I use Alibre Expert for the parts development I do. It has a CAM package bundled with it I have never played with made by MecSOFT? Anyone use this? Is there a post for the Tormach machine with this CAM package?

Does the Tormach software have standard tool off sets etc. just like a full size VMC? Programming a tool path with a tool to size in the program but tell the CNC the actual size of the tool and it compensates. (i.e. Tool 01 programmed .375” but it’s a sharpened end mill that’s really .345” in size. So the offset is .030”)

Thank you for any feed back!

Mark

Cickets…… Tumble weeds…….

Crickets…… Tumble weeds…..

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by helocat View Post

Does the Tormach software have standard tool off sets etc. just like a full size VMC? Programming a tool path with a tool to size in the program but tell the CNC the actual size of the tool and it compensates. (i.e. Tool 01 programmed .375” but it’s a sharpened end mill that’s really .345” in size. So the offset is .030”)

Thank you for any feed back!

Mark
    The Tormach uses Mach3 as it's control software. The only way to do what you want is to use G41/G42 cutter comp in your code.

You can download Mach3 and install it on your PC to play with it and learn how it works. You don't need a machine connected to use it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    The Tormach uses Mach3 as it's control software. The only way to do what you want is to use G41/G42 cutter comp in your code.

You can download Mach3 and install it on your PC to play with it and learn how it works. You don't need a machine connected to use it.

Mod to the rescue! Good info I forgot there was function codes for off set. I just remember setting the HAAS VF2 up and logging in each tool off set. Thank you. I will look at the M3 area for more info on that system.

Again thank you,
    Mark

D/L Mach3 and try it as a demo. There's a tool table that has offset fields for the cutters that might do what you need, but I've never tried it.

There is a Tormach post for AlibreCAM. AC might be a little limited depending on what you need to mill. Since you already have Albre Expert, why not just try it out?

Mike

I have a Syil X3 and I just bought the Tormach Quick Change tooling system. Suffice it to say that it works fantastically and I also use the tool offsets in Mach3 (that works very well too).

Wade

Alibre cam is the most basic version of MecSoft Visual Mill. You will program your tools into the tool list with several measurements within Alibre. Then based on that, the G-code prepared will take care of the offsets in mach3. I do not use those features in Mach3. I have barely scratched the surface of what Mach can do. But the learning curve is leveling off now, so I may start to play with them.

I do not have a Tormach, but I do use the Alibre cam as well as the Visual Mill Standard version. So if it does use Mach3, your golden.

It will have the Mach 3 Post processor with it. If you cannot find it for Alibre cam, PM me and I will send you mine.

Alibre recently announced the availability of more advanced versions of AlibreCAM - Standard, Pro, and Expert. It looks like the version of AlibreCAM that is included with Alibre Expert is now called AlibreCAM Express. The other 3 versions cost from $1,000 to 4,000 before a 25% discount that is currently running.

I haven't looked at the new version feature sets extensively yet, but it seems that SprutCAM Expert is comparable to AlibreCAM Expert with the exception of available cutter profiles and continuous 4th/5th axis toolpaths.

Mike

Exactly. However, if you already have Alibre Expert, you will get a $200 Discount if purchasing visual Mill through MecSoft. I just exercised that option.

I tried Sprutcam in the Demo that I had of Alibre and it was easy, but I found the Language barrier difficult in the manuals and the menus.