585,715 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need education

New guy need some basic info and to ask some stupid questions.

I found this site during a search for info on bearings. I am a refugee from the lapidary skills camp ( I carve rock into fun figures) and want to get into gem cutting. After seeing what the basic faceting machine (new) was costing I checked ebay and was a bit crestfallen when I realized the prices on a used ( needs to be refurbished) faceting machine was still upwards of 600$.

Unfortunately I have a penchant for making what I need -- and the quest began. I decided I need to make a lapping machine first.

A lapping machine is basicly a variable speed horizontal sander/grinder,that has a runout of .001 at the edge of a 4" platen. How hard could that be, right? I ordered (2) shielded single row ball bearings 1/2". After recieving them ( and having no dial indicator) I put a 12" section of threaded rod thru the bores and clamped them together -- trying to wiggle the rod. It moved. Even to my eye I could see it moved about too much-- and it was the bearings --not the rod.

First question --- what kind of bearings will have little to no play radially? Highest speed would be less than 2k and theres not much load when lapping -- but the bearings have to be tight.

Heres what I want to do -- I have my eye on a 7x12 mini lathe ( waiting for a "sale" day) with which I want to turn a spindle ( aluminum 6061 1 5/8" -- I have it laying around) and a platen ( 4" x 1" or so) and attach them ( recessed and screws) to each other with a 1/2 " threaded section sticking up from the spindle thru the platen to attach the master lap to.

2nd question -- are these mini lathes capable of these kind of tolerances ( never mind the operator right now) and what pitfalls am I in for.

#3rd question -- I've read several threads on spindles that are in the range of 1k. JUST the spindle. Is this because they spin at 20k?

4th question -- am I out in left field with this project -- technically? I have no metal turning skills -- altho I have extensive experince with wood turning ( I was a patternmaker in the navy in another life) and woodworking. I don't think any of the turning experience would translate -- except when to duck.

I appreciate any responses and critiques -- I'm here to learn.

1. Almost any kind of bearing from skate board bearings
    to car wheel bearing will have better (much better) than
    0.001 runout. Some will need preloading.

2. Yes, the 7x mini-lathes can hold .001 tolerances.

3. ?

4. The best way to learn metal turning skills is to read,
    read, and read. Then practice, practice, and practice.
    Like other manual skills hands-on is the only way to become
    proficient. How fast this happens depends on lots of things
    including your motor skills and determination.

robotic regards,

Tom
    = = = = =
    "It was Storybook 101: Boy meets magazine;
    magazine gets boy; boy gets magazine."
    - - Mark Feeney