585,735 active members*
4,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kcam Cut depth

I am new to this I have been playing with desk engrave and Kelly cam. I made a sentence to start with in deskam then saved as .DXF then imported to Kcam I brought the tool down to the top of the MDF I was attempting to cut into then zeroed all of the axis's the started the program in automatic. Well the tool moved up then over to the start position then down to about 1/4" above the MDF not actually cutting any thing? In the table set up there is the travel cut I set to .250. I don't know the difference between the normal cut and deep cut so I had them both set at 1/2 the diameter of the ball cutter I am using in my dremel. Hoping that it would be the depth of cut into the material. Can any one set me straight so I can make my first successful cut with my router? I have been changing the cut depth to no avail.
    The software so far has been the most challenging portion of the project!
    Thanks Clint

Try -.250 (negative .25)
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

47MLB 0 means table surface in kcam4. So set deep cut and normal cut to 0 . At this point the bits diameter is not important.

Murat..

Another thing I have found when using both Deskengrave w/k-cam is after saving the deskengrave to dxf, open a new drawing and do a copy/paste from the original dxf. The deskengrave dxf has more info than you know. It can change the z axis to how you saved it, just like saving as a g-code would. Hope this helps... Rick

This is what i do

I have also had this problem,I use deskengrave,get font the way i want and dont worry about z depth until i import into kcam,show g code in window,at top of kcam pull down menus u will find (find,replace)click on replace and a window will pop up,look at gcode window(there are only 2 values in z through out your whole program,one is retract plane other is cutting depth) I replace both z values(using replace all) with the retract and cutting depth I want and then click on compile at bottom of g code window,kcam recognizes the changes made to program and runs the new values in z,works great for me
    Hope this helps!

Gentlemen:
    I am a newbie to cnc but I purchased kcam and have got it to work on my pc. I can draw a part in autocad and save it as a dxf and inport it to kcam successfully. I would like to tweak the part a little more though and so I have looked into sheetcam. I can't find a post processor for kcam in sheetcam. Does anyone know if another processor would have the same parameters that kcam is using. The software looks like it will do what I want, but I can't get kcam to load any of the gcode files that sheetcam has produced.

Thanks much
    Will

Hello everyone on the forum, you are really great, thank you for the aid provided by us beginners.
    I have a problem, how to ask Kcam that when I cut an object in several passages that I felt automatic Z axis with each passage that goes to zero, now whenever I go to cut something thicker, Kcam me down reamer to the zero point and each passage raises Z the default height of the passage.
    I tried to put the Z in a negative point but the same thing here is to try to explain what I'm interested, I have a wooden board of thickness 10 mm, and is now out of it I want to cut some object, the next should we do CNC is that we first passage made at the height z-axis of 10 mm, and the following passage that we drop the z axis of a millimeter, so again next passage to 1 millimeter, and so all the way until we cut the subject that i want.