585,925 active members*
3,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What to use when cutting thin materials ?

What to use when cutting thin materials ?

What to use when cutting sheet/flat pieces of material on my table ?

I've been using wood to cut out the parts I need (pic attached), but I'm not sure this is the best thing to use (it possibly being uneven). Now lets say I wanted to cut a very thin part out of derlin (.060 thick material), what would I put under so that my measurements weren't off and stay flat ?

I was going to put something like aluminum under, but didn't want any of my 1 flute plastic bits to break or dull.

Thanks
    Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6521.jpg  

Perhaps some blue sm rigid styrofoam, mounted to existing table. Machine flat in place, and create a pocket to nest the thin delrin.

regards

I use mdf. It worked great for today project in .125 aluminum. Milled alittle of the top first then ran the programs. If its thin enough I dont think your going to notice that much of a difference. Only if you want to pocket or mill off .03 would you really notice but if you cutting threw then it shouldnt be a big problem.

"I use mdf. It worked great for today project in .125 aluminum. Milled alittle of the top first then ran the programs. If its thin enough I dont think your going to notice that much of a difference. Only if you want to pocket or mill off .03 would you really notice but if you cutting threw then it shouldnt be a big problem."

So mount the MDF and then run the endmill across for a leveled surface ?

I've also noticed when attaching my indictor to my head, my tables are off when running it from right to left (right side being higher)? ( I believe this is called tramming, right ? )

I can't remember how much its off (which I'm going to check and get back to you guys), but was wondering how to get my tables completely level (if that's even possible with this machine).

Yes I have a .060 derlin part that needs a target depth of .015 in the center and another at .045 . Something is going to be press fitted to lay over the ledges in the center of the hole, and needs to lay flat as possible (wow hope that makes sense, I can attach a picture if that helps).

Any tricks please feel free, anything...

"blue sm rigid styrofoam"

Never used it, can you recommend a cheap place that sells it ? I'd like to give it a try. Wood soaks up my coolant, and leaves me with rust on my tables. How does the styrofoam do (I'm guessing it only soaks a little to nothing)?

Any Home renovation store...

regards