585,982 active members*
4,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCAM H&T matching

MasterCAM H&T matching

Is there a way in X/X2 to make MasterCAM automatically match the T and H numbers?

I find that I will set my tool #, tool length offset #, and tool diameter, and then change something, and it will default to H0. D0. I usually catch this, but a couple weeks ago I had a minor crash when I missed it. It's a major pain to have to go back and change the H and D values all the time.

My machine has H&T matching, but it won't catch H0. It thinks it's a valid code (by design, apparently).

It's in job setup. Set T=1 and H=1, also look for a check box that sais "number tools sequentially".Then restart the program (to set new default), and from then on it will start at T1H1,next tool will be T2H2. There are other ways to also do this, but this method get's the job done.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid

Here is a video showing the proper way of taking care of this issue. Please review. the sound might be a little low so you might have to turn it up. Testing new Mic not liking it.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/sett...gtand%20h.html
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I will be updating this video as I need to mention some other thoughts.
    this will take care of the need as asked for but there is more about the Machine Def and Control def that I want to bring in.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Jay: As usual, I learn more 'incidental' tricks watching your videos than I do on the subject you're trying to convey. Thanks again!

I didn't really appreciate all the setting defaults I could customize in the control. I think you may have unearthed the solution for both Cory and I but either you went down a different path or I misunderstood.

The Tool Number Option that looked like what we need is: Use the head number to replace the tool number. Yes? No? The Mastercam help and definition weren't very clear.

Cory: I had this same problem about two weeks ago. I changed a drill tool number to a different one from the library. It had H set to zero instead of the tool number and I shoved a 0.160 carbide drill right into a piece of aluminum with the spindle off. The funny thing is that the hole was almost usable. Awfully big chips though.

My question to you, Cory: do you work from a standard library of tools that remain in the machine or do you set up tools for every job? In my case, I have a library that I keep updated. It contains exactly what's in the machine at any given moment. That way I can sit down and program without figuring out tool numbers, holders, etc.

I keep pockets 12-18 for job specific tools. 19 always has a drill chuck (that's for any oddball drilling jobs) and 20 is always the probe.

In this scenario, I only need to set tool numbers for new tools. The place it bit me was when I copied a tool to a new pocket and changed the parameters.

The answer somebody posted over in the Haas forum was to edit the post so it would automatically plug the tool number's variable into the H & T offsets--thereby ignoring whatever is in the dialog boxes altogether.

It seemed like a really good idea, though I haven't done it yet. The lesson it taught me (to check those boxes) has stuck with me.

Now here's a similar--almost related--lesson that I'll save you: When you're setting up a rigid tapping cycle, it's under the 'drill operations', right? It's smart enough to pick up the speed, feed, etc, that were saved with the tool. Guess what it doesn't do? It doesn't select 'tap' from the cycle pull down. It defaults to 'Drill'. Yup! I drilled a tap down into a hole and when the machine retracted, it pulled the shank right off of that 8-32 tap and left in the hole.

Ahhh...the pain of learning.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Cory: I had this same problem about two weeks ago. I changed a drill tool number to a different one from the library. It had H set to zero instead of the tool number and I shoved a 0.160 carbide drill right into a piece of aluminum with the spindle off. The funny thing is that the hole was almost usable. Awfully big chips though.

My question to you, Cory: do you work from a standard library of tools that remain in the machine or do you set up tools for every job? In my case, I have a library that I keep updated. It contains exactly what's in the machine at any given moment. That way I can sit down and program without figuring out tool numbers, holders, etc.

I keep pockets 12-18 for job specific tools. 19 always has a drill chuck (that's for any oddball drilling jobs) and 20 is always the probe.
    I use a standard set of tools that remains in the machine.

T1 is my facemill, T2-T8 are endmills, T9-T13 are spot drill/drills, and 14-16 are taps. 17-19 remain free for any oddballs I need to swap in, and 20 is always my probe.

I have not set up a custom tool library in MasterCAM yet though. I need to do that. It would save a lot of time. Right now I just choose from the master tool library and then renumber the tool accordingly.

I sure wish we got the sidemount toolchanger. I love having to not touch most of my tools for most parts, but I find myself getting tight on space in the changer when I need to add in other tools, and I'm always wishing I had a couple more drills that stayed chucked up in the machine.

Take the time to set up that library. I named mine VF-2 Tools. It'll only take you an hour to duplicate everything in the carousel. Once it's loaded to Mastercam, you don't have to sweat the tool numbers or anything else--it's already matching the machine. I took the time to set up my prefered cutting feeds, speeds, depth of cut, etc.

Whenever I start a file, I can right click into the tool manager and get tools from the library, then change the source library to my saved VF-2 library. Shift-clicking the entire list copies everything to the MCX file. With all of the speeds and feeds loaded already, it saves a lot of time and errors.

In fact, the ONLY thing I can't get to copy with the tools is for the Coolant to be 'on' as a default. I set the tools that way but it doesn't copy to the operation for some reason. I may have found the solution though (thanks to cadcam's video ).

If special tools are needed, I make only those changes in the local copy of the library. It saves 90% of the work. Of course, this is where I learned the same painful lesson about H&T. :withstupi
    Greg

Jay,
    I've been using Mastercam a good while now but I always learn new tricks from your videos. Keep up the good work.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Here is a video showing the proper way of taking care of this issue. Please review. the sound might be a little low so you might have to turn it up. Testing new Mic not liking it.

http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/sett...gtand%20h.html
    I found this video very helpful and learned a lot from it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    I will be updating this video as I need to mention some other thoughts.
    this will take care of the need as asked for but there is more about the Machine Def and Control def that I want to bring in.
    The first one was excellent and I learned a lot from it. Can't wait to see what else you wish to cover!