585,712 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Looking to buy a VFD, any suggestions?

Looking to buy a VFD, any suggestions?

I am looking to convert my mill to a VFD, I have looked at the Hitachi VFD's , but was wondering what everyone's thought as to which one they would suggest. I have a 3HP motor that I'm currently running on a static phase converter. the converter has actually been really good to me, but as I have been converting the machine to CNC, I want to have the ability to program the spindle, but still retain the ability to manually turn it on. The VFD will replace the on/off switch on the head, and the converter....if I am correct. What size should I go with? I have read that people should run bigger than what there motor is, but mine will be strictly running the spindle which is 220, 3ph, the rest of the machine is 110V.

I'm using a few VFD's on different machines some are the cheapest you can buy and some are high dollar ones, all of them run like they are supposed to never any problems. You don't need a high than motor rating on the VFD. I use a few VFD's that are rated higher because I run them off single phase, one is a 5HP three phase VFD running a 3HP motor on single phase supply.
    Dennis