585,959 active members*
4,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Splash lube of spindle bearings

Question Splash lube of spindle bearings

According to the manual, the spindle bearings are splash lubricated. As I'm about to replace the spindle bearings, I have a question. Should I pack the spindle bearing in grease if they are splash lubricated?

It would seem that you would slowly contaminate the oil with the grease in the bearings. If it is splash lubricated, my past experience with such systems is that the bearings are soaked in the same oil as the splash system, and the splash system keeps them lubed.

But if seems that Shoptask recommends greasing the bearings, and then splash lubricating them which doesn't make much sense to me as the oil won't make it thru the grease, or if it does, will wash it away.

Any advice from other owners or experts our there as to what way makes the most sense?

I know very little about it. My understanding at this point is that the lathe bearings are splash luricated. The mill bearings are grease lubricated. My advice would be to call shopmaster on there tool free line and ask them if this is the case.

I've tried that. JT says he doesn't know. He says the spindle is splash lubed, but doesn't know why you then need grease.

That's why I'm posting it here. To me, bearings should either be splash oil, or grease packed lubricated. Both doesn't make sense to me but maybe I'm off base, or the splash lubrication (despite the manual) doesn't reach the spindle bearings and really only lubes and cools the transmission gears. That is the only way to me, it would make any sense.

Any comments or experiences for other owners?

I have always wondered about the splash lubricated bit myself. It doesn't seem like there is a real positive flow path for the oil. It would be neat to replace the cover plate with plastic for awhile to see how much oil actually gets up there.

Dennis

Ah ha! Another good one. I know from my bearing swap that the lathe bearings were greased from the factory.

However, I'm dubious about how much splashing is going on up there. I got a hunk of lexan to use as a cover but ended up removing the tripple gear and hence the ability to splash lube...and then didn't ever put the cover back on. So, I just greased the bearings. I figure if grease works for the mill then it should work for the lathe. I can't see any major harm in having grease and splash though. Based on the ammount of grease still in the bearings it didn't look like any of it has been "washed out" by the oil.

The only time that the lathe spindle bearings can possibly be splashed lubricated is when the power feed is engaged. So you better grease the bearings.

Seems to me that the need for the power feed on to splash lube the spindle bearings was in the manual as well.

Wow you actually read the manual? Is there anything else I should know?

splash spindle bearing lubrication

Did anyone ever get a real awnser on this issue of grease or no grease for lathe spindle bearings. I also talked to jt some time ago and he could not seem to give me a exact awnser either. When I replaced my spindle bearings on the headstock I think I did grease them, but, as many I wander why I did grease them.

leeharrysouth

Splash lubrication

Yes, the manual says to keep the trans in gear at all times to lube the bearings.

The oil would have a real hard time getting into the bearings considering that its only the gears that sling, not a sling ring which is used in most splash systems. (At least the ones I have seen.). There really isn't a lot of gear in the oil and its at the very bottom. How it can splash much up and sideways was always a mystery.

I lubed mine, but always wondered how much oil really got to the bearings rather than to the main drive gear. Will probably remain a shoptask design mystery<g>!

After I did the headstock alignment I ran the lathe with the mill head removed, and the oil definitely will splash out the hole in the top of the casting. JT warned me not to overfill the gearbox or it would leak out around the handles, so I think the answer is yes the oil will splash lube the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by leeharrysouth View Post
    Did anyone ever get a real awnser on this issue of grease or no grease for lathe spindle bearings. I also talked to jt some time ago and he could not seem to give me a exact awnser either. When I replaced my spindle bearings on the headstock I think I did grease them, but, as many I wander why I did grease them.

leeharrysouth
    I have been a mechanic for 42 years. Anytime I take something apart that has any kind of bearing I always put on some grease when I reassembly. When the machine initially starts everything is lubricated untill the lube system takes over. It has always worked well for me.

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by crsatter View Post
    I have been a mechanic for 42 years. Anytime I take something apart that has any kind of bearing I always put on some grease when I reassembly. When the machine initially starts everything is lubricated untill the lube system takes over. It has always worked well for me.
    I to have always done this with mechanical assymblies. Maybe thats the awnser to the question. The grease just covers things until splash takes over.

leeharrysouth

It sure seems like using grease could help but not using grease could hurt. I also wanted to reiterate that my bearings were greased by the factory and did not appear to have any oil at all in them from splashing.