585,555 active members*
3,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Elm-Chan smc servo controller programming and tuning
Page 5 of 5 345
    OK I see you are having trouble setting the parameters, do you have the serial link going to a PC ? It is possible that is not working, if the serial link is plugged in, start hyperterminal, setup the baud rates as per the elm site, when you start the drive up it should give a little message, if not then it may be incorrect settings or serial conection at fault.

Thanks for reply guys.
    My motor is now running smoothly in mode o in both directions. Also mode 1 is ok. In mode 2 sometimes it spins smoothly sometime not. I have checked the p6 value. It is 256. But I have to tune the motor properly for mode 3.

Also the serial communication is ok.

My motor is 24Vdc 2.2 Amp with 2000 ppr quadrature Encoder. Coil resistance which I measured is 130 Ohm. My motor power supply is at 24vdc and 6 amps. Enough for this motor. Guys suggest some values to start with.

Have a nice day

Hello everybody,

Thanks for all the effort you are making for sharing the knowledge.

I just built an SMC3a, progam the tiny2313 flash and epprom and I have a very special problem
    When I use the hyperterminal I just receive the welcome message : SMC3a Servo Moto Contoller (help: ?) %.
    no comand is answering after sending it or any thing happening.

can anyone help me with this poblem.

many thanks

Sounds like it is connecting to the drive, what happens if you type in p6 and hit enter ?

Thanks epineh for youe answer,
    Problem fixed just PC TXD disconnected on DB9 connector.
    Many thanks

Glad you got it working

Re: Elm-Chan smc servo controller programming and tuning

Hi ,
    I reed here some about diverse versions of the ELM Servo Controller . Can someone say me a simply functionally shematic and code for a
    working controller in step and direction mode ?
    I will buildt a simply milling machine from wood boards and when I understand the principle of the software , usb-controller and the other components , I will buildt a better milling machine with professional mechanical , electronic and other components .

Many thanks for every answer

Hans

Hi!
    I would like to use elm smc with servo motor instead of stepper driver and stepper motor. Is it possible to use it in step/dir mode after power on elm smc ? Or I must set it by 232 to mode for step/dir for enabling this function.
    Thanx

Yes that is possible and is what I am doing, from memory the code is already on this thread somewhere, I think I called it mode 3 (which is the positioning mode for servos)

You will still need to connect the rs232 for setting up the parameters.

Good luck !

Russell.

*just checked, I posted it on post #12

Hi!
    Can somebody please help me how to set fuse bits in PonyProg? Is there something more i need to set before wrting? I dont have experience with burning mcu.
    Thx
    Last edited by joker691; 03-03-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joker691 View Post
    Hi!
    Can somebody please help me how to set fuse bits in PonyProg? Is there something more i need to set before wrting? I dont have experience with burning mcu. What type of device i should set there, i cannot find attiny2313.
    Thx
    http://sufnicnc.com/SMC.html see all images and everything else will be useful to you

Hello,friends.
    This is my first publication in your group.
    Impressed with the wide variety of membership tips.
    My interest is to set up a CNC with Servo motors.
    In my research, I bumped into a video on YouTube, citing an implementation of the controller adapting to a cheap and functional interface: IBT_2 43A Bridge H Bridge Module, based on the BTS7960B Infineon chip, published by Embeddedtronics on 09/27/2017 - Link: https : //www.youtube.com/watch? v = E-72pM7NBBI.

Given this, I am designing a control card with everything that involves Attiny2313, a preview follows.

Once you have finished the project, post the files here so that you want to implement them.

The plate is being made so as to fit over the IBT_2, forming a compact set of 5cm x 5cm.

sorry my bad english
    thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCI Controller.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	400975

Quote Originally Posted by tandel View Post
    http://sufnicnc.com/SMC.html see all images and everything else will be useful to you
    Hello, I built this version of the servo elm, but I have a problem and I can not solve it, when I turn on the driver the irf540 mosfet burns me, I measure the output of the microcontroller and I have 2.5v in the two outputs pwm permanently which makes the mosfet come into driving at the same time, should not be in 0v pwm outputs until I send commands or detect movement of the cord, very grateful if someone can help me because I see that many have worked and I do not succeed. regards
    Daniel
    PD: sorry for my English, I'm from Argentina and I'm using a translator.

Elm-Chan smc servo controller programming and tuning

Quote Originally Posted by maralme View Post
    Hello,friends.
    This is my first publication in your group.
    Impressed with the wide variety of membership tips.
    My interest is to set up a CNC with Servo motors.
    In my research, I bumped into a video on YouTube, citing an implementation of the controller adapting to a cheap and functional interface: IBT_2 43A Bridge H Bridge Module, based on the BTS7960B Infineon chip, published by Embeddedtronics on 09/27/2017 - Link: https : //www.youtube.com/watch? v = E-72pM7NBBI.

Given this, I am designing a control card with everything that involves Attiny2313, a preview follows.

Once you have finished the project, post the files here so that you want to implement them.

The plate is being made so as to fit over the IBT_2, forming a compact set of 5cm x 5cm.

sorry my bad english
    thank you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PCI Controller.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	400975
    That’s my video I made using the BTS7960/ELM-Chan code. Glad you found it useful. It was just a quick test to see if it worked. Biggest limitation is the max 24volt supply.

Quote Originally Posted by jfong View Post
    That’s my video I made using the BTS7960/ELM-Chan code. Glad you found it useful. It was just a quick test to see if it worked. Biggest limitation is the max 24volt supply.

Hello JFONG, I saw your video a long time ago and it's very good, it was my inspiration to do the servo driver, a question, the fuses that are in the description are well written? Why are they different from Chan's publication or am I the one making a mistake (chair)?
    regards
    Daniel

That’s the fuse settings I used. The difference is probably minor such as different brown out voltage setting etc. I don’t recall why I choose the fuse setting. The one that matters the most is the crystal clock setting. It’s all in the atmel datasheet.

Thanks jfong, configure how you put them and I blocked the attiny 2313, and at this moment I have programmed the fuses as follows: -U lfuse: w: 0xDF: m -U hfuse: w: 0xD9: m -U efuse : w: 0xFF: my does not work either, the mosfet burns me as soon as I give tension, I will continue investigating why I am sure that something I am doing wrong. Greetings.

Hi all ,

I have upgraded and build this controller. If you need help you can visit my blog. If you are interesed i can sell this card with extra small amount of tea price
    https://gogendevices.blogspot.com/

Thank you.

Page 5 of 5 345