584,837 active members*
5,370 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

FREE 2D CAD (Solid edge)

Download a fully working FREE 2D CAD package from here.
    I cant tell you much about it yet since I am currently downloading it myself.
    From what I have heard it is quite a comprehensive package.

http://www.plm.automation.siemens.co...2d/index.shtml
    Being outside the square !!!

Here are some screen captures of what it looks like.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen capture2.jpg   Screen capture.jpg   Screen capture3.jpg  

If you download the software, let us know what you think of it.
    So far I think its pretty good. Especially since its free.
    What are your thoughts ?

I have been using Solid Edge 2D for a couple years and like it very much. I find it to be much more user friendly than AutoCad which I have pretty much retired from use. Just wish I could justify a copy of SE 3D.

I really like it but there is no path for a hobby user to get even limited 3D it seems. At least I take the fact that I never see a price listed for the 3D stuff to indicate that 'if you have to ask'.

I still don't fully understand all of it but I got going making some pretty decent drawings in just a few days having no background in it beyond a high-school class 18 years ago on drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by RTP_Burnsville View Post
    I have been using Solid Edge 2D for a couple years and like it very much. I find it to be much more user friendly than AutoCad which I have pretty much retired from use. Just wish I could justify a copy of SE 3D.
    I wish I were smart like you. I've been working at this software for 2 weeks and I have never been so utterly frustrated! I got started on a drawing, the software locked up and I have been unable to do anything with it! AND, NO "DELETE"! in the Free 2D package! No display of the cursor location on all layers, No layer name display! No real tool bar display/control. The 2D package is a subset of the 3D package and is not in the least bit friendly. I am dumping it after 2 weeks of dilligent trying to make friends with it.! ! !

Maybe the free DraftSight CAD package will work better for you.

See Free CAD software * for your DWG files: DraftSight - Dassault Systèmes

I've been using Solid Edge 2D for approx the last 12 months and find it very easy to use. Before using SE 2D, I briefly tried Draft Sight and prior to that I'd never used CAD software. I found it a little frustrating at first but after doing a couple of the tutorials it started to make sense and became a lot easier.

For those that are interested you can also download a free 45 day trial of the 3D version, I'm currently trying it out and I like what I've seen so far.

I have found there's not many tutorials around for SolidEdge 2D, not if you really want to get to know it. Access to teaching materials is half the battle with CAD. I've noticed others have similar thoughts.

I have Alibre Design and the user manual is quite detailed. In comparison I find the SolidEdge manual (under the Help menu) a bit lacking, and the software comes with only one mechanical sketching tutorial. Apart from that it seems like it will be quite good if you can learn it.

I've noticed Yakfisherman actually called them up and asked for a user manual and was told sorry no manual. That boggles my brain a bit, why give out free the 2D version of your software if you are going to make it difficult for the user to get aquainted with it. Having read about a few different types of CAD it seems people stick with a version they are familiar with. Help them as much as possible to learn your giveaway then maybe when they are ready to upgrade to a paid 3D version it will be a no brainer which one they will choose.

Also I've recently read on a forum that SolidEdge can't do patterns (circular, horizontal, etc) in sketching. The forum members said it can only pattern features made from a sketch.

Being an Alibre user I liked SolidEdge 2D but due to lack of training material and lacking something like the ability to do 2D patterns, I've gone with Draftsight for my free 2D. Seems very capable, well thought of and most importantly to me has quite a few hours of training videos on Youtube, as well as at least two pdf manuals. Now I'll get to know what it's like on the other side of the fence (Autocad style drawing - many say Draftsight is an Autocad clone).

Solid Edge 2D does patterns, it's in the drop down on the mirror command.

Quote Originally Posted by GlaStar1 View Post
    I wish I were smart like you. I've been working at this software for 2 weeks and I have never been so utterly frustrated! I got started on a drawing, the software locked up and I have been unable to do anything with it! AND, NO "DELETE"! in the Free 2D package! No display of the cursor location on all layers, No layer name display! No real tool bar display/control. The 2D package is a subset of the 3D package and is not in the least bit friendly. I am dumping it after 2 weeks of dilligent trying to make friends with it.! ! !
    That is very strange..... I wonder if your graphics card is the problem? The reason for saying that is I have had similar issues with other graphic heavy programs and when I either updated the graphic card or it's drivers the issues vanished.

Robert

Thank you hq308, I found it. Maybe the thread on that forum appied to an earlier version.

I'm finding out what it's like on the Draftsight side of the fence. Not as user freindly as Alibre or SolidEdge style sketching at all, and a complete brain shift.

I know what you mean, I started out using Draft Sight only to discover at the time it had a bug and the concentric circle function didn't work. In researching the issue I found it was a known bug that was to be fixed in the following release which was over a month away. That's what lead me to Solid Edge, it was a little overwhelming at first as the 2 programs are very different but after working out SE I haven't found a reason to go back to DS. :cheers:

I've spat the dummy with Draftsight and am now going to focus on SolideEdge. I look at how I can so easily change things in a sketch with constraint based 2D. I'm sure Draftsight can do this once you know but despite all the videos, etc on Draftsight I can't figure out how to do it easily.

There's a book on Amazon on SolidEdge ST4, plus a website where you pay a monthly fee to have access to their SolidEdge videos (Solidmastermind). The basic plan gives you access to all the 2D sketching videos. Other than those I can hardly find anything on the net to teach you the 2D sketching well. I personally find "renting" videos like this is a bit of a ripoff, but perhaps many will use screen capture applications so they don't have to always have an internet connection and use up their monthly bandwidth to watch the video again. We'd have to be millionaires to rent all our educational books and videos every month.

I used the built-in tutorials in SolidEdge to learn how to use it and found it a little frustrating at first but once I got my head around the basics it became a lot easier.

Take the time to go through the tutorials first and it'll quickly start to make sense. I'm by no means an expert but I've worked out all the basics in SE 2D and I'm happy to answer any questions you have where I can.

Hi Hq308,

been a few days since I've checked out the zone. Just like to say thanks for your offer of help.

Also joined the SolidEdge forum, that's helpful too.

Been reading a little bit about history (feature) based solid modelling (Alibre Design, Solidworks) vs the SolidEdge style solid modelling and it looks interesting, good if you need to make changes to a solid later on. I could possibly sway towards SolidEdge in the future if I'm every ready to spash out over $5k for solid modelling software, as opposed to the industry standard Solidworks.

Just out of curiosity I've persevered some more with Draftsight. I'm getting better but I can't see how anyone could possible sketch as fast and easily as you could with SolidEdge 2D Drafting.

Keith.

I tried using SolidEdge a year ago, but gave up on it because I couldn't figure out how to specify exact dimensions for line lengths, diameters, placement of hole centers, and the like.

I probably gave up on it too soon, and so maybe I need to give it another look.

Hi Doorknob,

if you are willing to fork out about $200 you could purchase the Personal edition of Alibre Design. I have this and it's sketching is easier and more intuitive than SolidEdge plus you get the PDF user guide which is quite decent. Then there's the helpful user forum and some Youtube videos. Only problem is it is not a drawing program, but if all you need is 2D sketches you might like it. It has 2D DXF export and 3D STL export (it is an easy to use 3D solid modelling program). Another issue is with the personal version you only get a license for one computer. That's why I looked into SolidEdge2D and Draftsight so I could at least have 2D sketching on all my computers.

SolidEdge give their 2D away for free but provides minimal tutorial materials to get you well aquainted with it, go figure. Probably have to spend plenty time on the SolidEdge forum asking questions. Having Googled quite a bit about SolidEdge vs Solidworks, many have said SolidEdge is quite a good product but is very badly managed as far as marketing, etc goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Hi Doorknob,

if you are willing to fork out about $200 you could purchase the Personal edition of Alibre Design.
    I appreciate the suggestion - I may very well do that sometime down the road, but within the past month I have purchased both a PM45M mill and a G4003G lathe, so my hobby budget has been exhausted for the time being. For now, "free is good".

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    I tried using SolidEdge a year ago, but gave up on it because I couldn't figure out how to specify exact dimensions for line lengths, diameters, placement of hole centers, and the like.

I probably gave up on it too soon, and so maybe I need to give it another look.
    Specifying exact dimensions is easy, you enter the dimensions in the box at the top of the screen as you draw and you can also enter change the dimension after it is drawn by using the 'smart dimension' tool. Spend a few minutes doing the built in tutorial and it should make it a bit easier to work out.

Page 1 of 2 12