584,319 active members*
6,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shoptask 2000 CNC

Here we go all,

Perhaps I should begin delving into CNC with my machine which is a Shoptask 2000. I know it has issues such as mill rigidity and others, but it seems like a good way to at least learn the ropes then upgrade later. I guess what I'm after here is what parts are available for this, such as servo motors, ball screws, controlers etc. What am I missing. The Shoptask site deals with the Patriot machine now, so thats out. I'm sure I should be able to find what I need elsewhere.

Thanks for the help

Larry

everything is available, read around and pick what looks good. doing something is better than nothing, jump in and enjoy.

Tweasl,
    If you are building your own cnc, this is as good a place as any to find the parts and advice. Shoptask still supplies the completed systems for your machine as well and they also have a CNC hardware kit with the proper belts, nuts and bolts and some bearing upgrades for the Z axis. However, unless you have the quadra lift on your machine I would think twice about spending money on cnc. Without the quadra lift you will have a pretty good cnc lathe, but the milling will still be limited because of the lack of up and adjustment of the head. You might be better off to spend the time to build your own quadra lift with help from guys on this group first.

Shoptask 2000 CNC

OK all,

I have seen some home built quadralift systems that looked impressive. I could do this and from here go the CNC route. I will look around for help in this endeavor. I don't suppose anyone knows of a finished quadralift system that the owner might be willing to share about how he did this.

Thanks Larry