585,679 active members*
5,664 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > 203V Pulling my hair out!!

203V Pulling my hair out!!

So, I bought a 203V to start my way on having a whole 4 axis set. I have a xylotex board, which is pretty good until you look at it wrong and something blows. Not it's fault, just very sensitive to wiring issues, hence the 203V.

Anyways, I'm using the breakout board section of the Xylotex to route the COMMON and DIR and STEP lines. According to the Xylotex documentation, GND, which is pins 18-25 is the COMMON. So I have wired that to my COMMON on the Gecko. I have wired the STEP to pin 16, and DIR to 14. Oh, and the whole reason I'm doing this is because my z axis blew, but the x and y still work on the xylotex. So I'm using this as my z. But that means I can't use the normal 6,7 pins.

So, I get a green led on the gecko, the motor locks up, but I can't jog it in Mach. I made sure I have active high on, which means not enabling active low in Mach, and changed the step speed to 2us.

So, not saying I'm completely new to this, I had previously wired a G201 this same way, and it worked. I know the 203V with the COMMON is different, but I thought I had it figured out. Any suggestions? I have even tried multiple pins and combinations to see if they worked, and nothing to date will jog the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamD View Post
    I have wired the STEP to pin 16, and DIR to 14.
    I know it's the obvious, but did you change the config in Mach to match the new pins for step and dir? Plus on the Ports and Pins config page you have Motor Outputs and Output Signals tabs. Have you made and changes on the Output Signals tab? I don't know, but there might be a conflict there.

Also, it sounds like you have the 203V wired correctly, this might be a better post on a Mach board, either here on cnczone, or on the Mach support forum

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php

Monte

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamD View Post
    So, not saying I'm completely new to this, I had previously wired a G201 this same way, and it worked. I know the 203V with the COMMON is different, but I thought I had it figured out. Any suggestions? I have even tried multiple pins and combinations to see if they worked, and nothing to date will jog the motor.
    Just to be sure, does this mean you have a 201 wired to the same pins on the Xylotex board and it worked? If yes, then my previous post is probably mute.

Monte

It sounds like your step and direction cables may be reversed. Have you verified that they are indeed going into the correct terminals? If you are getting holding torque, then the drive is doing what it should be doing. All it is waiting on is a signal.

-Marcus Freimanis

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I am getting holding torque, which in fact means it's doing what it's supposed to be doing. That makes it all the more frustrating! I figure it has something to do with my step and dir, and the fact that something must be miswired. I've just been through it a million times now, and don't see the problem.

Is there known issues with using pins 14 and 16? I know I'm not supposed to use 18-25, which aren't options, but are their others?

I have another breakout board, which I might try with the gecko alone to see if potentially it's the xylotex board. Or rather, can I measure some voltage or something to see if it's dead somewhere. I guess if I use my volt meter on the GND or COMMON, and don't get any voltage when joggin on step or direction, that would mean I'm getting nothing, right? I'll try that tonight also.

Again, thanks for the support! I've heard so many great things about this drive, I'm just really anxious to get it running.

The green LED 'on' , red LED 'off' and having holding torque means the G203V is ready to go but it's not getting step pulses. Try disconnecting the STEP wire at the breakout board, then connect / disconnect the wire to the breakout board +5VDC by repeatedly touching and releasing the contact. Every time you do the motor should move a few microsteps. That should prove the drive works.

If you continue to have no joy, call me at 1-714-771-1662 8AM to 5PM Pacific coast biz hours and we'll figure it out together.

Mariss

Make that 1-714-832-8874. I forgot we moved and have a new number.

Mariss

RS232 port can give you absolute fits because not all computers handle the pin configuration according to the standard. Laptops are notorious for it, the one that even HAVE a port.

Anyway, here is a graphic that might help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails port pin config.jpg  
    “ In questions of power, let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the diagram. I had actually seen it on the thread with your own issues.

Mariss, I tried what you said, and sure enough the 5 volts steps the motors as I tap it. I never really thought it was the drive, just figured something funning with my wiring. I also checked that the pins had 5V, and they did, but not when Mach takes over. So I figure I must have something wrong with the Mach settings, so I'll try in that forum.

Moderators: If you can, please move this thread to the main Mach forum. Thanks!

WilliamD,

I really feel bad for you and the problem you are having. I just wanted to give you reassurance that whatever is going on doesn't include our drives which is what we make. If I knew more about Mach3 or your breakout board then I would try to help but I really don't.

Mariss