584,842 active members*
4,621 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > getting a file from the drawing to the machine

getting a file from the drawing to the machine

Hi i'm a newbie to cnc. I'm using emc2 software and I have no trouble getting the examples to work. My question is how do I get a drawing from whatever software i'm going to use to the .ngc file format that emc likes.

I use emc2 also. I started out using NCPlot2 under Windows to convert a DXF file to gcode. I also have VCarve for fancy engraving, but most of the time I just write the gcode by hand.

Alan

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'm just lazy but not into writing all that code. Is there a good software program for windows to draw or create what you want, then convert to the emc2 format?

I generally try to avoid Windows like the plague, but there are a number of CAD programs for Windows and NCPlot or VCarve will import a DXF file and produce output for emc2. Vectrix also sells Cut2D and Cut3D programs, Vectrix has a post processor that works for emc2.

You can get a free demo copy of QCAD for Linux, Mac or Windows and the license fee is only 35-40 dollars.

Alan

Thanks Alan for the info. I do like Linux but, most of my work requires Windows software.

Will

I have been using CamBam under windows to generate G-code. Works great and the price is right.

http://www.brusselsprout.org/CAMBAM/

Stan

I will second that about Cambam. Works very good for me, either alone or with an imported DXF file.

Bill K.

I know EMC2 supports the use of image files. I have not tried it though. You have to turn it on as [FILTER], in your .ini file. Check chapter 23 in the EMC2 user manual about image-to-gcode. Well worth a try.

"One pixel in the input image will be this many units–usually this number is much smaller than 1.0. For instance, to mill a 2.5x2.5-inch object from a 400x400 image file, use a pixel size of .00625, because 2.5 / 400 = .00625."

Thanks for all the replies and help. I have been using cambam to generate the gcode and it works great. Still learning but, have come a long way. I still have not figured out how to cut a vertical curve in a stock of wood. Any ideas anyone.