585,581 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 5 123

pics of my turbine

here are some pics its a kamps Kj hybrid the turbine wheel I milled from 316 ss barstock.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00012#.JPG   DSC00013#.JPG  

WOW, very cool got more pics?

Yes, more pics, more pics, we demand more pics

NICE! put it on the lawn mower

did you use a 4th or/and 5th axis to make some of that stuff? I would like to see internal pics, of the parts and all.

what are going to do with it?
    -Patrick

measure twice, cut once - a good rule for everything

Patrick2x4 he is going to do what I would do with it, show it here on the CNCzone and make everyone wish they had one.
    More pics, more pics, we demand more pics

I am very interested in what you would do with that. That is cool. More pics.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

WOW I was just rying to get things rolling here. Thanks for all the nice comments. I drew the blade profile in cad and then with a 1/8 in. carbide em (used 4 of them) profiled each blade 20 of them taking .015 depth of cut for a total of .400 deep using a manual indexer rotating every 18 degrees. Probably not this one but the next one I build (in the works) which is a little smaller it has a 54 mm dia. turbine wheel where this one is around 66 mm will be going into an RC jet. Here are sompics of the turbine wheel and of a diffuser that I was milling out with my homemade mill.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cnv0006#.JPG   #.JPG   DSC00089#.JPG   DSC00090#.JPG  

Greg,
    Really Nice work, I am always impressed by small cnc work, don't know why, but there is something about it that intrigues me. Was this your first turbine build?
    I do not see a indexer, how was that utilized?

The indexer was set up 90 deg. to the miling head and I made an arbor that fit the center hole made it a close sliding fit bolted it to the arbor with a washer and started milling, those pics of the work being done is of the diffuser not the turbine wheel. Here are some more pics this is where my homemade spot welder came into play. The front and back covers of the combustion chambers I made dies for and used an arbor press to make them, the vaporizer sticks are made from old electric oven elements with the ceramic middle drilled out. The inside and outside wrapper I made fixtures for, I sandwich the the sheet of ss between 2 metal plates and the top plate has all the holes in it so I just use a drill press drill the different size holes unbolt the plates take the piece out roll it and spotweld on the 3mm overlap. This is my second turbine the first one which was an outdated design and had a tested combustion chamber can be seen at the right of the pic with the turbines in it, the compressor wheel on that one is made out of plywood and wrapped with carbon fiber the turbine wheel blades on that one were sawed out on a band saw then twisted to the proper angle then ground to shape with a grinder. This one I never had running on it own because of the combustion chamber so I modifyed one of the reliable combustion chambers, that are in the pics, to fit this one and I think it will run on its own as soon as I tweak it in so the turbine wheel doesn't rub when it expans a little from the heat, 1000 plus degrees. You can see the smaller combustion chamber that I started, next to the bigger one for size comparison. The end covers aren't made yet.

Greg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00122#.JPG   DSC00123#.JPG   DSC00124#.JPG   DSC00004#.JPG  

DSC00125#.JPG  

How much thrust do you hope to make?

between 12 to 16 lbs. static thrust at 120,000 rpms.

Greg

Those itty-bitty metal wheels gonna hold up? Just kidding - thats way cool. Is an axial flow supercharger next? -- opps that would be another thread....
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Very Good
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Greg,
    This is probably getting ahead of things but have you decided on the model RC you want to put it in.

Completed, what do you expect the engine to weigh?

Ken

Ken,

I have an old Cressline kit Saab Viggen that I got off ebay. I could put this size turbine in it and then limit the rpms with the ecu to keep the power down. Thats why I started on the smaller turbine a little lighter and a little less thrust. This one weighs a little over 2 lbs. just the engine not counting fuel pump, ecu, plumbing, electric start ( not necessary ). A safe assumption is double the static thrust and thats the upper limit of the weight on the plane it can fly complete with fuel, some planes carry 3 plus liters of fuel. I have a 11 sec. video of it I wonder if there is somewhere I could download it. oh yea I like what you said to Patrick about it, not too many people are interested in it or appreciate the work I put into it, its nice to hear everyones comments on this site.

Greg

... and then limit the rpms with the ecu to keep the power down. ...
    No! No limits!!!

Cheers,
    Sven

Greg,
    I know you can upload movies but I am afraid another will have to chime in here as I do not know the procedure. Hope someone does, that will be interesting to see and hear.

Ken

email me the video and I will run it off my server.

Page 1 of 5 123