586,009 active members*
4,900 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > New or used machine? High-end or low end starter?

New or used machine? High-end or low end starter?

Ok, I am stumped about to the point of giving up. I do custom furniture restoration and design and have been looking at adding a CNC to my shop for close to a year to cut moldings, furniture parts, etc..

I have looked at everything from a Shop Bot, to machines upwards of $100k and have gotten customer service levels (as far as information from the mfg and/or sales peoples) ranging from pretty good to insulting (one guy actually told me I was wasting his time becasue I was not ready to purchase when he was ready to sell) to no reply at all.

At first I was sold on the fact that I needed to get a new machine because it was new and someone would set it up and train me and should have the latest technology. Then after a year of looking, you start to think they all have essentially the same set-up and parts which makes you wonder why the vast differences in pricing. Then I started looking at used machines and see that you can get an industrial machine for half the cost of new, but typically they are 5 to 10 years old which makes me wonder about the technology and mechanical problems.

So, my question for those of you in the know is this, what are your thoughts on new versus used and high end versus low end? I am not a production shop and everything is custom, so it is not like the machine will be running 24/7. Is a $30,000 new machine better than a used a $60,000 machine that is 10 years old? I, like everyone else, want the most bang for my buck but I do know that I don't know enough about a CNC to mechanically troubleshoot one or evaluate it to know if I am getting screwed or not on a purchase.

At the moment, I am thinking buying a new, low end machine like a Shop Bot may be an inexpensive way to venture into the waters rather than starting off investing in a $100,000+ system that I may or may not ever use all of its capabilities. On the other hand, I don't want to waste $30k if it can't do enough to do anything but frustrate me and make me wish I had gotten a $75,000 machine.

I think I am going to go bang my head against the wall for a while now.

Thanks for any guidance you may have,

Jeff

A shopbot can do anything a more expensive machine can do, if you're talking about router only operations. A high end machining center with vertical and hoirizontal drilling spindles will of course allow you to do more things. Spend some time at the shopbot forum and you'll see some impressive things being done with them. A few days ago I looked at a thread where someone was cutting 1/2" thick brass floor inlays on a shopbot.

I'd say go with the shopbot. A 10 year old high end machine can easily cost you $5000-$10,000 for a repair, parts and service can be hard to find as well.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

jeff

i purchased a used machine and with full knowledge of the upgrading i would have to do. i also made friends quickly with other cnc addicts who were more than helpfull to help me, one of them was a friend very proficient in photoshop and related programs, i taught him cnc he taught me file programing!! now he has purchased a machine and will be making childrens products that he has been proto typing for some time, there are lots of good shopbots out there and they do not loose value. theres on in myrtle beach on there site today. most of these guys are stepping up and will demo there machines for you. i know a guy in charlotte who is upgrading and looking for his next machine, while he has already sold his last machine he came to my shop to see my machine but i believed we learned alot more from him!! theres a fellow in wilmington nc and we speak every day, he purchased his to learn as he intends to sell it and get a larger one when he retires in a couple of years he has been invaluable in what we have learned together.

I would say there are 3 main things to consider. A milling machine will probably be more rugged than a router, since 1 is designed to cut metal, & 1 to cut wood. A mill will have a slower spindle speed, this will mean slower cutting feeds & probably longer tool life, especially on harder materials. The 3rd aspect is machine dependability, Mechanically, & electrically. the electronics are what makes me nervous with a used machine. I'm a toolmaker who uses CNC mills at my job, & we have far more electronic or computer problems than mechanical problems.
    Chuck

Advice

Speaking from experience ( not knowing where you are at with software). Go with a company/ person you are comfortable with. Someone who you know after you buy the machine wont disappear. While a sales rep could possibly get fired go with the company then. Where I work is 100% service based in our sales of equipment. Our prices our better then our competitors but the main thing is that our technicians are all trained as well as our sales reps. This way we as sales reps can help to fix any issues. Having help and resources is very important as well as warranties. Also a good company will be able to bring you to a few vendors so you can have a hands on experience with machines.
    Mostly though I would say buy from a company/person your are comfortable with.

Need any other help or pricing email or call me
    Patrick McMorrow
    [email protected]
    201-240-3762