585,753 active members*
3,724 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Automatic Carriage Feed

I have a Harbor Freight 9 x 20 lathe. I was turning down a piece of CRS using the automatic feed lever. I made several passes and after each pass I would disengage the feed lever and return the carriage to the starting point. On about fifth pass the carriage did what it was supposed too do but when I released the feed lever I could not return the carriage to the starting point. It jammed and after checking it out I noticed a piece of square stock about 1/8" sq and approx 1" long laying in the long slot of the lead screw. Please refer to the attachment (jpg) which is a copy of page 37 of the H.F. Instruction Book .

My guess is that this small piece of steel is the key (Item 4)that somehow controls the worm gear (Item 3). I also abserved that the three screws that hold the bracket (Item 2) in place were loose which leads me to believe is the reason the key to fall out.

What can I do to replace this key any comments recommendations greatly appreciated.

John Romano
    Attached Files Attached Files

John,

The key is supposed to slide in the slot in the leadscrew as the screw turns, thus turning the worm and driving the feed. My guess is that you will have to remove the leadscrew and the whole apron assembly. There is a roll pin through the leadscrew at the end of the gearbox that you will need to drive out. You will need to remove the bearing block at the other end of the leadscrew and the two socket head capscrews that hold the apron to the saddle. That will get the whole apron assembly loose so you can see what has happened.

I didn't think it was possible for the key to come out unless the bracket broke, the worm broke, or the leadscrew was removed (so it doesn't sound good).

Good luck,
    Alan