585,883 active members*
5,276 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > scrap yard or junk yard in Toronto area
Page 1 of 2 12

scrap yard or junk yard in Toronto area

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a scrap yard that will let me walk around the yard so I can
    try and find some linear rails from old machines.
    Anyone know where I can find such a place around Toronto?

Thanks,
    Alex

Any scrap yard I know of shreds this stuff as fast as it comes in. Not to mention huge liability issues.
    What brand/style/size are you looking for?
    I have some used on my shelf and 1 of my customers will likely have me scrapping a bunch of equipment in the next couple of months.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Pretty much any size and length will do DareBee. I need it for a home made cnc mill project.

Alex

Accuracies vary greatly amongst all the different styles of rails.
    I telescopic drawer glide is a type of linear rail and is suitable for certain projects, just as railroad track, dovetail slide and printer mechanisms are .
    You will need to provide more specifics to be of any use to me.

I could use most 20mm or wider rail. Type Rail + bearing.

pic: http://www.linearmotion.skf.com/uplo...bc/linear4.jpg

Alex

I thought I had a couple of surplus SR20 here but I can't find them.
    I have a whole box of .5" for Thomson type shaft.

Over the last 5 years or so we have moved a LOT of machines to scrap with linears on them. It is generally not worth my while to strip any of that stuff.
    I have a few huge servo motors here though - heh

Interesting.
    If you are going to be stripping any machinery with rails I'd love to come by and take the rails out.

It would really help me a lot if you were able to find those rails you are talking about.

Alex.

I didn't have the rails, just bearings.
    Must have used them somewhere, they were in my storeroom for a long time.

As I said I rarely strip any of the scrap machines.
    There is no knowing when and if my customers will need equipment moved that is scrap. I did 75 ton last spring so they may not have devalued too much stuff this year.
    1 LARGE CNC universal grinder (ways needed redone) was 1,000,000 replacement cost. No one wanted it or any other machines that I thought might be of interest.
    I have learn t to look the other way and collect my charge-out to dispose of these things.
    My customers whom I build machines for don't want used stuff on their equipment.

Scrap steel is very high right now, got 235/ton last week

Thats an interesting company to work for.
    Thanks for checking for me.
    If you do come across any scrap rails/bearing give me a shout Id love to take/buy them off you.

Alex

This won't be of use to you as they are auto wreckers but I assume that this is the kind of "You pull it" place you are looking for.
    http://www.standardautowreckers.com/
    These guys are kinda cool because they have this $50 for all you can carry thing.

You may want to call around to some of the guys who offer free scrap removal on Kijiji. http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-scrap-ser...QKeywordZscrap
    Maybe some of them can keep an eye out for what you want.

Do they have old machinery at standard auto wreckers or is it just cars?

As far as the kijiji idea; Ill give that a go. Hopefully something turns up.

Thanks,
    Alex

[QUOTE=Talex;442882]Do they have old machinery at standard auto wreckers or is it just cars?

Just cars as far as I know.

Look for suitebel machines before they hit the scrapyard. I contacted a CNC sales company. They recive used machines when they sell new ones. They had a Agie sink EDM. The controlls where bad and the servos removed. I was alloved to removed all the rails and ballscrews for free.(2 redwine and chokolate to the bloke) The iron went to scrap.

Bent

I've been looking for a replacement scrapyard for ages since Rotblott and Sons closed. That was the best scrap yard I've ever seen. They had a bit of everything, and prices were paid by weight. Just put it on the scale. Needless to say prices were damn cheap! I've dealt with the owner Howard for ages. They were on prime real estate on Front street downtown Toronto. When a condo was put up right beside the scrapyard I knew it's days were numbered. Howard's son Andrew still runs the hardware part of the business downtown but Andrew is a real douche bag and I'll never deal with his store ever. Someone told me there is a good machinery scrapyard in Oshawa. Anyone know about that one?

Stumbled across this old thread. Just wondering if anyone in Toronto area had a good scrapyard these days? I'll be looking into starting something new soon, and I am okay with used. Linear bearings and aluminum channel or tubes are okay in terms of new prices, but no sense buying new when great still usable stuff exists out there.

Realmseeker,

Try Monarch Metal Recycling.

Monarch Metal - Scrap Metal Yard - 416-298-0333

JoeyB
    A doughnut a day keeps the doctor away.

Much appreciated I am trying to compare Aluminum Channel, rectangular tubes, and 80/20 for a build.

Wow. This thread brings back memories.

I was looking for scrap machinery to pull linear rails out of over 4 years ago and am doing the same now.
    For the same project actually. It sat on the back burner for a while now I want to complete my first CNC.

So. Same question. Anyone know where I can find scrap machinery to pull rails from around Toronto, Canada? I salivate at the thought of yes being the answer!

Thank you.
    -Alex

Scrap yards are tough, most don't sell to the public anymore.

You need to find sources other than scrap yards. At least around here there is no sales to the public. Your best bet is to look for industrial machinery being removed from service.

Quote Originally Posted by Talex View Post
    Wow. This thread brings back memories.

I was looking for scrap machinery to pull linear rails out of over 4 years ago and am doing the same now.
    For the same project actually. It sat on the back burner for a while now I want to complete my first CNC.

So. Same question. Anyone know where I can find scrap machinery to pull rails from around Toronto, Canada? I salivate at the thought of yes being the answer!

Thank you.
    -Alex
    I'm in Rochester NY area and frankly the scrap yards around here are not friendly at all. I think the general trend is to avoid sales to the public. Your best bet is to look for a company taking small machines out of service. Buy the machine, take what you need from it and E-Bay the leftovers. The bulk iron can then be given to the scrap dealers.

Or just buy from E-Bay. Many of the suppliers in effect do as described above, often scrapping machines with very light use. Another option would be technical flea markets like Hamfests and the like. Yes Hamfests are amateur radio related but you will often be surprised ate what can be found at such shows. Big heat sinks for one, but also cabinets for electrical controls, servos, steppers and even misc. machinery.

One issue you run into trying to get into the supply chain early is that companies like dealing with companies. As such you may get locked out when interesting things get scrapped. Part of the reason is the expectation that anybody coming on sight to remove equipment will have insurance coverage. Part of it is also liability on the selling companies part. Apparently you can be held liable for a machine you sell even if it is 50 years old. Thus a lot of machinery gets sent to scrap metal dealers whole to avoid exposure.

Now I'm not trying to sound negative here at all, just highlighting a few realities. Until the laws are changed I don't see it getting easier to acquire used machinery for any purpose.

Re: scrap yard or junk yard in Toronto area

I'm just wondering please try to Highett Metal

Page 1 of 2 12