585,919 active members*
4,141 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: TM-1 Max RPM

TM-1 Max RPM

Good morning,

I've been a lurker for some time, and find this forum a great resource - thanks to all. We have 10 Haas machines, and I hope to be of help from time to time.

I have seen threads mentioning the ability to increase the maximum RPM of the TM-1. I see 3 parameters that relate:

131 max spindle RPM (currently 4000)
    79 spindle steps/rev (4000)
    239 spindle encoder steps/rev (8000)

Before I go screwing around with these (and while I look for our tachometer which seems to be lost!), anyone have additional input on this? Like how it might effect rigid tapping?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

We have a TM-1 and as far as I know, there is no way to increase the spindle speed past 4000 RPM.

John

if you do it right it wont efect ridig tapping at all.
    you can incress up to 8000 rpm but you will only be able to us 1/4" and smalller cutter at that speed no torque. the best is to put it at 6000 rpm better torque and usability. find someone with a mini mill to help you with this hint hint

Max Spindle Speed Parameters

There are two parameters that you will need to change to increase your spindle speed.

131-MAX SPINDLE RPM

183-Sp MAX FREQ

(PAR 183= MAX SPINDLE SPEED / 3 * 10)

SO IF YOU WANT YOUR SPINDLE TO BE ABLE TO GO TO 6000.

131 = 6000
    183 = 20000

John, you definitely can increase the TM-1 MAX spindle RPM.
    Many have, including me and see no issues (with 6000rpm) at all except better performance.

See post #17 here for a step by step to increase the RPM
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...Emergency+stop

The Rapids also can be increased, the next time mine is booted it will get changed to 400ipm.

Ken

Speed Up

Hi Ken,

I was just looking for your post on the TM-1 Speed Up but you beat me to it.

Actually, it is better that you replied that way he can talk to someone that has actually done it.

John

H John,
    Had trouble finding it myself

Essentially the same info as awesome83 pointed out only step by step which is often helpful.

I have been told that the rapid increase is just as simple and really shows up in faster tool change time, so that is next.

Ken

Ken,
    If you don't mind, could you post the parameter changes you make for the 400IPM rapids? I know a few of us are looking for that, I like the 6K spindle.
    Smitty

Sure Smitty,
    What they are is what was posted by Piter (pit202) from Poland and shared with me by Greg (61sedanman).
    The meat of the change is in bold.
    I also agree with his thinking on the accelleration being left at default.

Let us know how it goes, it will likely be toward weeks end before I get to it.

( X PARAM A )
    MAX SPEED 462394 ( original 5.1m/min )
    ACCELERATION 3000000 ( original )

just multiply the max speed about 2 - 3 times , and change the acceleration.
    my current setting are : 1387182 for speed and 6 mln for acceleration.

This is what Piter did. I didn't necessarily want to push mine as hard; if Haas was only willing to warranty a machine with these feed servos running at 400ipm, then that was as fast as I should run them. Turn the parameter lock off and change the max speed for all three axis by TWICE its current setting. The above example is for x axis only and it is under 'X PARAM A'....there is also a 'Y PARAM A' and 'Z PARAM A'. The factory setting for each axis was 462394 which equals 5.1 meters/minute. Change them to 924788 and that will equal 10.2 meters/minute. 10.2 meters times 39.37 inches/meter equals 401.574 inches per minute. Piter also changed the acceleration two fold, and while that might make the machine a little faster, my thoughts were that it would be an unnecessary amount of extra force on the thrust bearings that wouldn't be worth the extra second or two it saved per cycle. I left the acceleration at 3000000. This mod was extremely simple and to me just as important as the max rpm mod. Just remember to back the rapid down when testing a new program.....I generally use 25% when trying out a new one. You will LOVE your new tool change speed. Feel free to ask anything else.

Greg James

I`m happy that I could help , my sl-20 lathe has 8mln acceleration - that I tested in TM-01, looks amazing how it change the position, but that was only for curiosity, after playing I changed back to 5mln.

Hi Piter
    How long have you been operating your TM-1 with the increased RPM and Feed ?

The RPM alone made like a new machine for me and am looking forward to the increased rapids.

Thanks
    Ken

since spring 2006, till now I din`t notice any crashes on spindle and axis motors, the only worst thing is backlash on Y axis, but this can be done by screw cover , still jamming, even if not - I don`t think this could stop incoming coolant with very small chips.

Awesome83 got it right in post #4 - knowing the formula for parameter 183 is the key. We are running the spindle in at 6K as I type. Thanks!

Ed