585,975 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Connecting BP VMC directly to LAN

I am new to all of this, to avoid confusion, the question below was copied directly from my e-mail.

Can anyone out there offer any advice?

Is our Bridgeport Mill Model TC1G Serial TCY-0121 capable of having a card added "Network Interface Card" that would allow direct access to the hard drive, rather than having to access the hard drive via a com port sending data via a communications program or floppy disk?

Cheez

I don't know how old your machine is or what control is on it but the newer ones with the Heidenhain controls you can already do what you asked. Heidenhain's communication program TNCRemoNT does that thru the comm port. Gives you direct access and at bauds up to 115,000. I use it daily and it works great.

Kevin

Kevin,
    Thanks for your reply.

We are running a BOSS controller from 1997-98

Cheez

The TC1G has a DX32 control, PC based. It has a CIB (control in a box). The mother board is a half size, all in one, industrial unit. It probably came with a Disk om a Chip. Typically a 8 MB unit. A hard drive was optional. Your mother board may have a ethernet/lan connector on it. I know the later ones do. The problem is you are running DOS and you need drivers for it. I have quite a few mold shops that have installed ISA or PCI lan cards on earlier full size mother boards, loaded WIN3.11 for workgroups and move massive programs that way.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,
    Thanks for your quick response. I wasn't in yesterday. This forum is something I've looked for for a long time.

Chuck