584,833 active members*
5,649 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Feed Hold

Feed Hold

Is there a G Code or other command that can be written into a program to pause the program at a given point until the cycle start is pressed?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

John

m0= program stop

Help

Jeff,

Thanks for the help.

John

Be careful using M00 and M01. Both of these will stop the spindle and it will not restart when Cycle Start is pushed, but the feed will start and try to push a stationary tool through the part. You need a M03(4) after the program stop.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Be careful using M00 and M01. Both of these will stop the spindle and it will not restart when Cycle Start is pushed, but the feed will start and try to push a stationary tool through the part. You need a M03(4) after the program stop.
    This would be done on most systems at the discretion of the MTB, as the spindle and M codes are written in the ladder.
    I have often seen these and other eventuality's not foreseen by the PMC writer.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Help

Hi Geof,

Thanks for the information and words of caution. I read the HAAS manual on the M codes.

Here is what was printed:

The MOO code is used to stop a program. It stops the axes, spindle, turns off the coolant (including through spindle coolant). The next block (block after the MOO) will be highlighted when viewed in the program editor. Pressing Cycle Start will continue program operation from the highlighted block.

Too bad they didn't put your words of warning in the manual as a (note) as they do on other M Code commands.

Thanks again, from both me and my cutting tool.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    The next block (block after the MOO) will be highlighted when viewed in the program editor. Pressing Cycle Start will continue program operation from the highlighted block.
    To me, that is a glaring oversight on the part of the MTB, I would think it is a given that if you 'Push Cycle Start' to continue the program, you obviously need the spindle on !
    Al.

Albert E.

Help

Hi Al,

Maybe someone from HAAS is monitoring this forum and will pass this on the the guy that writes the technical manuals.

I am a newbie here and there is a lot I need to learn. Thanks to you guys for helping me along the way.

P.S. What is MTB? Manual Technical Book?????
    What is PMC as it pertains to the PMC writer?
    What is a ladder as it pertains to this operation? Is it like a sequence of events that happen during a particular operation?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand all this a little better.

John

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post

P.S. What is MTB? Manual Technical Book?????
    What is PMC as it pertains to the PMC writer?
    What is a ladder as it pertains to this operation? Is it like a sequence of events that happen during a particular operation?
    MTB Machine Tool Builder, in this case HAAS.
    PMC is Programable Machine Controller, it is the side of the control that performs the M,S,T codes and misc functions and is configured by the MTB as to how it actually does the task.
    The ladder describes the format of the PMC, it is represented and programmed in a ladder type logic format.
    Al.

Albert E.

Help

Hi Al,

Thanks for taking the time to educate an Newbie.

John

John,

Give me a call, your CAM software in conjunction with the Haas control can handle this nicely.

Vern