584,850 active members*
4,188 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > My Gecko G203V heat sink set up

My Gecko G203V heat sink set up

Hi everyone,

I thought I would share my new Gecko 203v heat sink setup, this is an interlocking two part heat sink that is particularly designed to accept 2 x 80mm fans on either end, making it very efficient, its going in to my new controller box that I’m currently setting up. Once installed I will put some heat transfer compound between the drivers and the heat sink itself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heat sink 01.jpg   heat sink 02.jpg   heat sink 03.jpg  

Looks pretty snazzy. I take it the other fan will be directed to suck air out of there, and not opposing the other fan. If not, then may the best fan win. ;-)

-Marcus Freimanis

Hi Marcus,

Totally correct, both fans are facing in the same direction, that is one is “sucking” and the other is “blowing” both fans are indentical, I had them connected to a bench top power supply and they work well, so well in fact that the heat sinks dropped in temperature noticeably! It might be a bit of an over kill do you think???

Grebbo,

No, there really is no such thing as too much cooling for drives. At what current do you plan on running them?

-Marcus

Well, the steppers I have are 640 oz-in rated at 6.3A @2.3volt so I was going to restrict tem to 6 Amp (at 50 volts) by use of a 270 K-ohm resistor over pin 11 and 12 on the drives, that is correct isn’t it,

Grebbo

Quote Originally Posted by Grebbo View Post
    Hi everyone,

I thought I would share my new Gecko 203v heat sink setup, this is an interlocking two part heat sink that is particularly designed to accept 2 x 80mm fans on either end, making it very efficient, its going in to my new controller box that I’m currently setting up. Once installed I will put some heat transfer compound between the drivers and the heat sink itself.
    Hi,

Snap! I've got a similar setup with the same heatsink modules, although I've mounted 2 G203V on each side with a breakout board on top. There is room for 2 more Geckos, as the Heatsink runs front to back in the enclosure such that air doesn't get sucked into the enclosure, but passes straight through the heatsink.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi Peter,

The reason I went with this type of heat sink is that I thought you could mount an additional drive quiet easily if I went to 4 or 5 axis set up, just need to flick it on to its side, so its good to know that someone else is using the same set up, also I like your idea bout mounting the BOB on top of the sink as well, are you having any problems with heat??

No problems with heat. But then I'm only using 3A Steppers.

Cheers,

Peter.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Hi Peter,

I just checked out your site! Good to see some Aussie sites that are getting in to the CNC market! good onya mite!! Expect a purchase soon!

Sweet setup. Here is what I used...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasma005.jpg   Plasma007.jpg  

Hi Big John!

nice setup, I see you went for the "old computer" case setup,nice.. what steppers are you running on your 203s?

I'm using AutomationDirect STP-MTR-23079 MOTOR, STEPPER, 276 OZ-IN, NEMA 23, BIPOLAR $39.00

I can move my plasma torch at 500IPM with that setup and 60 volt power supply... I think the last time I calculated the rpm it was in the 1000-1200 range and smooth as silk throughout the entire range...

John

Go the Gecko's! From your pictures it looks like you are using a cnc4pc BOB is that a C1G board? I have seen a couple being used but never used it myself, I'm curently running the younger brother of this board (C10) with no hassles but I do like yours!

Grebbo

Yes that is a C1G board and it works well. I've added a bit since the pictures. I have a relay card from CNC4PC now that tells my torch to flame on.

John

Well I guess that I will have to bite the bullet and get a relay board as well, I like the C5 board that they have mostly because its solid state and it has an RJ45 connection

I like your setup for the geckos Grebbo. That should work very well.

I am in the process of milling out some copper to make my own liquid cooling system for the 4 Geckos 203v's I have. I have some old PC parts with a liquid system so I might as well use them.

I'll post some pics when I get it done. I'm waiting on my onsrud acrylic bit to cut my top half.

Smile

Wow! that sounds Interesting, would not mind seeing some pictures when you are done. Its probably an overkill but I for one enjoy putting this stuff together as much as making stuff with the machine!! Is this liquid cooling one of the “stem pipe” systems? Or will it have a radiator and heat exchanger?

Grebbo.

It will have a radiator that has a 120mm fan on both sides. Pretty much the same as your setup with the fans, with one on both sides blowing the same way.

It will be similar to this one below. I hope it turns out as well as this one, but copper. I will not be adding the "fingers" sticking up, but will have a clean channel for the liquid to flow. I'm going to try and make one block for all four geckos, but I will use individual channels using seperator blocks from the pump to the radiator.

These will be using 1/4" connectors, there simply isn't enough heat from the geckos to justify the high flow rate that I use on the PCs I use for gaming, etc. Afterall, this is a hoby to me, so I might as well make something fun.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/67...?tl=g30c85s140

Well that makes more sense seeing this picture, hope to see your heat exchanger when its finished! It should look and work like a treat! Good luck with your build!

Re: My Gecko G203V heat sink set up

I know this is an old post, but where would one find that heat sink, (square two fans). I've looked all over and can't find it.