585,604 active members*
3,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Memory size on VFO

I just got a used '94 VFO and am trying to find out how much memory it has. I can't seem to find anything in the manual. Any clues? I've already overloaded it once. Will it hold a Meg? Thanks.

Krista,

It would depend on how much memory was ordered when the machine was bought.

You could get 1 meg of memory in 94 but it was an option.

Go to the "Programs List" Page. Look at the bottom of the screen and it will tell you how memory is left, (in a percent with the programs that are loaded). And with some quick math you can figure out the total memory available.

You still can upgrade to more memory. But it takes a board change out as the memory is soldered to the board. And it is not cheap.

Did you know you can DNC your programs to this control?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

been there

I just found it, doing what you said. It appears to have a little less than 100 kb. I'm using m'cam9, trying to do some surfacing and it looks like the files will be about 500kb or so.
    Is it plain old simm ram, or something more sophisticated?Maybe I could graft in an edge connector for simms? Or am I about to destroy a perfectly good board? I'm a tinkerer.. to a fault, usually.
    I'd do DNC maybe. So do the DNC programs out there simply "dole out" the g-code (NC file) at a rate that the haas control can deal with it with its buffer? Or does it require a 2 way communication?
    Sorry, but I'm new to this cnc stuff. Lots of autocad experience, can do solids no problem. And i'm getting OK with Mastercam, but ,,,,the buffer is full!
    Is DNC pretty stable stuff?
    Thanks for the help.

Krista,

Do not try to install your own memory as Haas has priority cards and controls. Have you filtered the files in MasterCam? If not that will reduce your file size and also improve your cut. DNC is stable but on a Haas machine be careful how fast you are running your machine,(feedrates). DNC is only as good as the RS232 connection Baud rate so the control will not get file information fast enough ,and the control will then pause until the buffer is full again. My suggestion is to remove all unnessary programs in the control,filter the nci file and you should not have any problems.

DNC and look ahead

Thanks for the tip. I'm still working on the solid design, so it'll be a few days before I get to make toolpaths. Does the filter shrink it a sizeable amount? The filter is also called ram saver I take it? also, this is a one-shot deal, so I don't care if its slow (feedrates).
    Is dnc "weird"? I've heard pros and cons....

Krista,

I agree with JW about the memory. It is not like a regular PC memory stick. It is totally different. Specific to Haas. Good way to ruin a good board.

You might check with your local HFO Dealer as I have a friend HU is in the process of buying a used VF3 of about your vintage. And the dealer has offered him a 15 meg memory upgrade for $1,500.00. Very cheap Indeed.

He must have a board laying around with tons of memory on it he wants to unload. :banana:

I look thru some old stuff and I believe that 64k was Standard on the year you are asking about. (But don't quote me as it has been years.)

Then shortly after that they went to 256k. By 1995 that was.

Sound low by todays standards but that was the norm for then.

Don't feel to bad, I was working with a guy not too long ago and he had a late 80's Mori and it had a whooping 16k.

DNC is no big deal. After you get set up it works like clockwork. And it is no problem to set up. But as JW states you may be limited as far as feed rate goes. Have to wait and see. 60 IPM should be do able.

So just in case if after you filter, as JW suggest, and you still need to DNC..no worries.

If you will turn on your private messages, I'll send your a couple of goodies that may help you out.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Back again. And much smarter now. Getting great results with dnc, cranked the rs-232 to 19,200. No worries. Well, today, I forgot to raise the z and hit the run....hmmm...$28 long 5/8 ball em snap-ola...but its pretty cool, all in all. Only my second minor crash!
    BTW, my name's Ely. Krista is my wife (her computer). I bet you thought you were gonna meet some hot babe on the forum. Tough. I'm just another motorhead/cnc geek!

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm up and running. My first 3d part is a big 26" x 18" x 12"tall slap of HD (Medite)particle board. I glued up 1" plates into 4" thick 26 x 18 slabs, and am machining them in 12 indexed setups. Level 1 Quadrant 1, and so on. Its going good and I recommend learning MC on something other than expensive alloys. This whole slab was only $68. And...the good part is I can patch the tool (vacuform)with Bondo! Its funny, the learning curve from level1 Quadrant 1 with gouges to level 2 Quadrant 3...smooth as a peach.

Krista if the computer is close to the machine I would set it to 38000 baud on the Haas.
    But the 94 model does not have the high speed look ahead so you will not be able to take it much higher then 70 to 80 iIPM with small surface data.

On the newer Haas's that have the high speed on them you can get up in the couple 100 IMP's for sure.

As for the and doing surfacing take a look at the tollrence setting on Paramater page two on most of the sufacing pages for Tollernces in the upper left hand corner.

then go in there and look at setting for this. this will help with filtering the code and help with size.

Now if you want to be able to cut it into smaller programs .look at the C-hook called Section this can break the file in to smaller NCI file that can now be posted from the one lager file.

Just a few thoughts.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .