585,978 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HYPERTHERM PHC PROBLEM

Was wondering if anyone on this board uses Hypertherm PHC , I can not get mine to work properly yet, keeping in mind it is a brand new table... I have cut a few pieces and they came out ok! But I am not sure the height control is working , I think I have it in Manual mode... The manual that came with it is more on hooking it up than how to run it! Read cover to cover twice!

The person that sold you the table should be your first source of support. That PHC is Hypertherms "cheap" control (only about Half of the $10.000 regular THC). It's totally stand alone so all the parameters will have to be set on it's front panel. I'm sure for what you paid to get that control you can get some good support from the table vendor or from Hypertherm direct.

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

Provide me with some details....cutting machine, cnc control, plasma....and what kind of problems you are having. I have used the PHC many times (I work for Hypertherm)...I'll be happy to help. There is also free tech service support at Hypertherm....

Technical service
    [email protected]
    800-643-9878 Tel - Toll Free in USA and Canada

Jim Colt

Wow! Tom thanks for the help, I new if I posted here I would get some Great advice, you are just to helpfull... I thought this was suppost to be a forum for people to help each other out, sorry I didn't buy your height control.... I did not know you had the best one in the buisness... I guess your customers never have to ask questions.... I would have called the vendor but they are at a trade show for a week and will be out of the office... When they get back I will be taking my training , but in the mean time I was hoping to give it a try myself with what I thought woulg be a little help, but I guess I was wrong on the Help part. Was hoping for a little more professional response. If my "cheap" Hypertherm does blow up I know now where not to get a replacement from!

The PHC height control is a very well built stand alone THC....it has great features and can be used with virtually any plasma system. I wouldn't actually call it "cheap"....it is less expensive as compared to high end industrial THC's such as the Hypertherm Command THC and the Kaliburn Inova THC systems, both of which are designed for use with industrial High Definition plasma systems. Rather it is a great design that shares a lot of features with the high end THC's...at a much lower price...and it is built by a large , reputable company (Hypertherm) that will be around for many years to provide support. I would be happy to help you with your issues!

Jim Colt

Thanks Jim, I was hoping you would post an answer, Table is New , built by PCS Cutting Systems.. Blue Series Table can be seen at www.pcsplasmacutting.com

Ok a little back ground.. I am new to CNC cutting, When i hooked up my system I noticed i nad one wire left over , I believe it is suppose to go to the touch head . I think it is used for ohm probe.. Does this have to be hooked up to work! There was no place to hook up this lead... Hypertherm 1000 G3 with Machine Torch

I think I need Item #5 in the picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hyperm1.png  

The wire is for the ohmic contact function....in order to use this critical function you need to get the ohmic retaining cap...which has a tab to attch the wire to. The PHC has two methods of initial height sensing (IHS)....ohmic...this is used for electrically sensing contact with the plate...the most accurate method of determining where the surface of the plate is so that the pierce height can accurately be set every time the torch has to pierce....ohmic contact works best because it can compensate for deflection when sensing thin plate. The second and backup method in case the ohmic does not work (due to poor electrical conductivity of the surface) is stall sense....meaning that the z axis motor senses an increase in force when the torch shield contacts the plate. This works well on thicker materials as well as when cutting submerged.

Your height control will work without the ohmic connection...but will not be as accurate as it should be for pierce height. The ohmic function also helps in the case of torch collision with the plate during cutting....it acts as a collision sensor...and lifts the torch away from the plate.

Have you used the system yet?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pure-Powder View Post
    Wow! Tom thanks for the help, I new if I posted here I would get some Great advice, you are just to helpfull... I thought this was suppost to be a forum for people to help each other out, sorry I didn't buy your height control.... I did not know you had the best one in the buisness... I guess your customers never have to ask questions.... I would have called the vendor but they are at a trade show for a week and will be out of the office... When they get back I will be taking my training , but in the mean time I was hoping to give it a try myself with what I thought woulg be a little help, but I guess I was wrong on the Help part. Was hoping for a little more professional response. If my "cheap" Hypertherm does blow up I know now where not to get a replacement from!
    Tom is simply stating that the best support will be from the people that built your table or from hypertherm that built your THC. He might not know how to operate the THC, but is still willing to give you advise on where too look for support. He did'nt as you said make any money on this deal, yet still takes the time to point you in the right direction....what a guy! I know you have a hard time taking any advice from people that have been in the industry for a while when it doesnt suit you, but don't start burning bridges because you're to hot headed to realize someone is actually trying to help.

here is the newest version of your manual

https://www.hypertherm.com/library/f...)/806150r0.pdf

Yes , Jim I cut out a couple of pieces.. Cut quailty was ok! 1/4 plate , 130 volts , 60 ipm

I was not sure about the rest of the settings , I think i had the toggle to manual , because torch height was allways the same... Not sure how to set up piece height yet... I do know it is suppose to be 1/2 higher than cut height.

I will go down to the shop later and try cut some 2" x 4" x .125 tube with my logo .

Should the plasma unit amps be turned all the way up and all settings made on the height control?
    I am using t60m torch , will try these settings Arc volts 134 , Pierce Delay 0.50, 98 ipm

Is there anything else I should be looking to do? Thanks Dennis

Follow the specs in your plasma system manual. Look up the material type and thicknes on the cut charts.....there will be a max speed and optimal speed...(use the optimal speed for best cut quality), it will list what consumables to use, what amperage (set it on the plasma) what arc voltage (set it on the height control)....the cut height and the pierce height and the pierce delay. All of these change for each type and thickness of material. Always pierce at 1.5 to 2 times the cut height. With the height control in "auto" you can change the arc voltage while cutting....try it....as you increase the voltage you will see the torch rise, as you decrease it the torch will lower. This will indicate that the THC is working.

Jim

Hello jim, what is the difference between sensor PHC and sensor THC ??
    What do you recommend for a pantograph home?
    I will use the source MAX200
    best regards

Costantino Simon
    [email protected]
    Cordoba - Argentina

The Sensor PHC is a standalone plasma torch height control system that will operate with almost any combination of plasma and cnc cutting machine.....it would work fine with the Max200 plasma.

The Sensor THC is an integrated Torch Height Control with high accuracy....it will only operate with a Hypertherm CNC control, and most plasma systems. It operates as a separate axis on a Hypertherm CNC....and is designed to be accurate enough for high definition class plasma systems.

Jim

jimm thanks, now I understand. We are in contact !

Hi,
    Is the pantograph a machine that follows a metal template?

That is what we call them in the US.
    If so, it may not be able to go fast enough for a plasma and THC.
    If your cutting speed is slow then the height control will dive into the plate, or cut much closer than you want. Also the Kerf will be wider and your parts may be undersized.

Just something to watch out for.

If you can use it then the Sensor PHC will work nicely on the Max-200.
    I have installed a few this way and they work great.

Good Luck,
    Alan Bradford
    www.plasmatechnologies.com