585,763 active members*
4,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Suggestions

Suggestions

This is my first post although I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.

My question is, I'm wanting to purchase a machine but I have no CNC experience at all and very limited mill usage and I narrowed it down to a couple of starting point ideas. First, of course I thought of the Tormach PCNC 1100 after reading these forums and and researching Tormach's website(pdf files and videos) but with no background am I biting off more than I can chew?
    The other idea I had was to buy a manual Bridgeport Mill and convert it to CNC. My thinking here was, I'm green and mistakes will be made, by converting I will definitely understand what does what and how to repair myself but from what I've seen these conversions are not very cheap(complete kits)and to be completely honest I wouldn't know who's would be best for my setup. Hopefully that's where all of you come in, I'm just needing clarity(aren't we all).

I guess some information on what I do and what I will be doing is needed at this point.
    I'm in the first phase of building sim racing simulators(online racing)and I'm finding that I need some way of making brackets(small in size), button boxes, monitor mounts and so on. I also drag race as a hobby and there are many things I'd like to produce(not large production)like throttle brackets, regulator mounts, lug nut inserts and smaller things like that. We are not talking super precision.
    The size is another issue. My shop is 24x32 with 8ft ceilings so the Tormach is about the biggest I would want. So that's pretty much it in a nutshell feel free to ask me more questions and make suggestions, I could use the help. Thanks

If you are green and think a Tormach might be more than you can chew then you will choke on a DIY conversion. Learning CAD/CAM and machining will be enough of a mouthful.

The concept of "if I build it myself I'll be able to fix it myself" is flawed. Apply that philosophy to automobiles and where would you be. Learn how to fix it when it needs fixing, it's not rocket science.

Building it yourself is fine if you need another hobby. Your first conversion wouldn't be cheaper than a "ready to run", and if you cost in the man-hours it's out of the park.

I guess you know my recommendation.

Just some thoughts and opinions.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Chandler View Post
    This is my first post although I've been lurking for a couple of weeks.

My question is, I'm wanting to purchase a machine but I have no CNC experience at all and very limited mill usage and I narrowed it down to a couple of starting point ideas. First, of course I thought of the Tormach PCNC 1100 after reading these forums and and researching Tormach's website(pdf files and videos) but with no background am I biting off more than I can chew?
    The other idea I had was to buy a manual Bridgeport Mill and convert it to CNC. My thinking here was, I'm green and mistakes will be made, by converting I will definitely understand what does what and how to repair myself but from what I've seen these conversions are not very cheap(complete kits)and to be completely honest I wouldn't know who's would be best for my setup. Hopefully that's where all of you come in, I'm just needing clarity(aren't we all).

I guess some information on what I do and what I will be doing is needed at this point.
    I'm in the first phase of building sim racing simulators(online racing)and I'm finding that I need some way of making brackets(small in size), button boxes, monitor mounts and so on. I also drag race as a hobby and there are many things I'd like to produce(not large production)like throttle brackets, regulator mounts, lug nut inserts and smaller things like that. We are not talking super precision.
    The size is another issue. My shop is 24x32 with 8ft ceilings so the Tormach is about the biggest I would want. So that's pretty much it in a nutshell feel free to ask me more questions and make suggestions, I could use the help. Thanks

You have come to the right place to ask questions.

I have around 25 years machiing exprience, and learned to machine on manual machines, then worked my way into to CNC machines. I have owned alot of machines, manual and CNC.
    Looking back now, learning on manual machines was the back bone to cnc machine for myself. Machinning on manual machines teaches you, what the machines can and can't do. There are people who jump right into to cnc with no past experince and make parts.

CNC is just down right awesome stuff to get into.
    You need to ask yourself were you think you will be with your cnc projects in 2 years? If you just plan to hobby around, and not make a business out of what your doing, stay in hobby mode.
    If you want to start a business at what your doing, think along the lines of professional machines.
    I would not recommend building your own machine, lots of time to get it right.

Tormach is a nice little machine for what it is, IH and alot of these small machines are good for small runs. Most of the guys will tell you, changing tools is a hassle, and getting chips all over is a down right mess. Another thing is, these small mills have a hobby style controller, that can be rather a hassle to deal with at times.

You will need to learn G code, and pick a cad cam system that you can afford, and works for you. The cad cam will be your best buddy for sure.

Now, if you are thinking of making this venture into a business, I would be looking at a Haas Tool room mill, or along these lines. These mills can be ran manual, or cnc, tool changer and so on. These types of machines, are made to make parts, and alot of them. Kinda like spending the money the first time, and don't look back.

Lay out a game plan, and go for it.
    Good Luck on your venture.
    HAAS VF3-5 axis trunion
    Mastercam X3

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    If you are green and think a Tormach might be more than you can chew then you will choke on a DIY conversion. ...
    Phil
    Love that reply phibur...

Jeff,

A CNC DIY'er has to be a Jack of all trades. A green horn should start with the basics before diving in on a major conversion. Try starting with small scale conversion of a Sherline manual mill. You can sell it when finished. The experience gained will help on your large scale conversion. The concept is the same.

Good luck.
    Wayne Hill

Ask yourself first what is the "hobby" you are trying to get into. Is it building a CNC or making parts? or maybe both. If building a machine is not your goal.. I would suggest getting a turnkey that is ready to go instead of messing around with a conversion kit. Yes, it will save you $$ and you will learn a lot. But you probabily won't be cutting much parts (quality parts) for a long time.

I got into CNC 5 years ago with a Taig thinking a larger machine is "more than I can chew." I bought my Tormach 6 months ago and from my personal experience, I wish I would of bought a larger machine (Tormach was not available 5 years ago) from the start. The Taig and other simular sized machines, with a 1/2" endmill, in 6061, max I can take off was .05" deep at 4 ipm. Anything more than that and the Taig will stall. Of course, Taig don't recommend using 1/2" endmill to start with but even at smaller endmills, max depth in 6061 is about .1 at 8ipm. Now... when I first got my Tormach... the first cut I made was with a 1/2" endmill cutting at 1/2" depth going at 30ipm. It was loud.. but the Tormach cut through a 4" stock happliy. I think I made more parts in the past 6 months on the Tormach than with over 4 years of ownership on the Taig.

So... the bigger the better upto the $$ you can afford is what I would recommend. If I got the bucks... I would have a Haas in my warehouse. But then again... CNC is a hobby... really can't justify spending that much $$ into it. Wait... I said the same thing about a $10K Tormach before. hehe. We'll see what happens in a few years.

Ken

i was in the same boat as you. i had no milling experience and definatly no cnc experience. i had a manual lathe for a couple years that i messed around with but that is the extent of my machining experience.

i had allot of people suggest converting an old bridgeport to cnc. that sounded like a hobby in itself. i wanted a turn key machine so i could concentrate on learning programming and machining. the tormach fit the bill. i liked the idea of the 16" z travel on the tormach verses short 4-5" quill travel on a cnc knee mill. i also liked the idea of the deluxe stand for the tormach with it's splash shields.

i am still learning cnc but i am able to make parts. teaching myself is taking some time and i am constantly going back to my book (peter smid's cnc programming handbook, highly recommended for a beginner) to write a code. between that book and some help from people on cnc zone, i have been able to do every thing i have needed to date.

i have to admit to some electronic problems with my machine but tormach has helped me out with them. they have changed the electronics for the newer machines so the problems may not even exist anymore. more than likely i am just unlucky and had issues that no one else has had. they do have great customer support. i wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.