586,005 active members*
5,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking Calibration as a buisness?

Just a little background about myself. My wife and I own and operate a small high tech tool and die shop in sourthern Arizona on the Mexican border. Many of my customers are across the border in Mexico which is a challenge in itself. Along with my customers we have a problem with calibration and repair of inspection equipment, such as optical comparedors, hardness testers, digital readouts and a variaty of special measuring devices.
    I was thinking the other day while BSing with an old customer of ours who is about to loose his job because the company is relocating to Texas. He has an extencive background in maintenance and has experience around a tool shop. My question is what's it take to start a buisness in calibration and repair of measuring tools. Do you need any kind of certification that cost big bucks. What kind of standards do you need. What's involved in repair and calibration of granite surface plates. The whole 9 yards.
    Any and all comments, ideas and suggestions would be great.

Thank You Kevin BBTool

I'd talk to ASQ (http://www.asq/org)
    And (http://www.a2la.org/)
    They will help, and give you advise about the ISO standard to get certified to, if need be.

Something to consider besides the cost of the standards and measuring instruments. These must also be periodically calibrated and certified by a higher authority.

I'm not trying to wet-blanket the idea. In fact, it's a good idea if there's enough of a clientele to support it. Maybe even part time.

As far as granite tables, flatness measuring instruments, reference flats, method to grind down high spots, skill, elbow grease and patience should do it. lol

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Yes I realize all measureing standards must be calibrated and tracked with documentation. Like a standard block used to check and calibrate an optical comparater, what would it need to be designed like and be able to check the varity of digital readouts. Is there a standard that exists. I also realize you would need a device called an autocalminator or some kind of laser measuring device to check flatness of granite surface plates but were do you find such things let alone finding how a plate is lapped.

YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE A TEMPERATURE, HUMIDITY CONTROLLED ROOM. CERTIFY ALL EQUIPMENT USED IN YOUR SHOP. DOCUMENT EVERY REPAIR, VERY LUCRATIVE.