584,814 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > 640 holes in one part? OneCNC says not a problem!

640 holes in one part? OneCNC says not a problem!

Click this link to view the part, keep in mind I'm a newbie to this cad/cam stuff but using XR and its awesome hole recognition feature I was cutting this part in no time at all with my home shop cnc mill. About 640 holes 3/16 x .4 inches deep.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5719

How does that whole thing work, what is process using the software?

Paul,

Basically, you click on the hole wizard icon, it analyzes the drawing for a few seconds, and comes up with a list of the various hole diameters that it found. It will find holes based on points, 2d circles or solid modelled holes.

All the holes of one size are listed as one group, kind of directory tree style. You can then select the whole set of them, or individual holes out of the group for further processing. Then, you get right into the tool selection and process setup for the selected group of holes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hwsample.png  
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That is sweet! and easy

In simple terms...create a bunch of holes in your part, then click the whole recognition wizard. Like Hu said it looks over your drawing and gives you a list of holes sorted by size. In my case they were all the same size so I checked the box which selected them all.

The wizard does most of the work for you in a graphical way. All I had to do was select the drill bit from a list of tooling, tell it how deep to drill, and I selected the deep hole peck drilling option. There's even a list of materials like 6061, several plastics, etc to select from which set the feeds among other things for you. Bottom line I had no trouble getting this to work and I never read the instructions e.g. its pretty intuitive.

Once thats done...well thats all. OneCNC XR generated the toolpath for me for all those zillion holes and did a pretty good job of it. I ran the sims which there is a bug in the 3D sim. It kept thinking I had a rapid gouge when I didn't but then I was running the sim at 10x. lol The only thing I had to change was the feed, I bumped this up to 15 IPM.

Here's another way of looking at it...I could start from scratch, draw and post that program ready to run I bet in under 10 minutes.

There's no bug in the simulator. What you need to watch is that the top of your extents for the simulation is correct and matches the actual top of part for the job. If you are liberal with the extra Z stock allowance on the simulator, this is why you will get the rapid gouge warning. There's not a lot of settings to be made in OneCNC, but what is there to be set, is mighty important, I've learned
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

There most certainly is a bug in the simulator. The stock is a flat sheet .5 inches thick. The program is simply peck drilling holes, retract is +.100 and rapid Z is +.200.

But never mind all that, if the sim says there is no rapid gouge when run at real time speed, but at 2x speed it says theres a rapid gouge on hole #2, but at 5x and 10x speed, it goes right by #2 without a problem and instead says theres a rapid gouge at hole #8, well thats a bug in my book.

CncPlastics,

What version are you running?

Also could you post your file over on the other board so we can have a look at your setting and such?

Thanks.

v6.15, will do.