585,722 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

8 x 12 Import Lathe Question

Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying the 8 x 12(or 14) lathe, the non-Seig one. One of the reasons I want a better lathe (I have a sherline right now) is that I want threading capabilities. The problem is that the lowest that the 8 x 12 goes to is 12 TPI, and I need to be able to do 8 TPI.

Is it possible to change out a gear to give me a low end range of 8 TPI?

I know I can do it with CNC, but I won't have the money to CNC this lathe for a while and I am doing simple parts on it that are pretty easy and quick by hand.

So, that being said, what say you all?

Thanks,
    Wade

I just picked up my 8x12 from HF today. That sucker is heavy! Here's a link to a couple of pdfs showing all the possibilities for threading. It shows 28 combos for 8tpi w/ zero error. I'll leave it to you to determine if the needed gears are included. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12mi...s/8x12%20Info/

He gives tpis for 5-193 and 0.3-5mm pitch

Mine's sitting in the floor. I don't have anywhere to set it up at the moment. I just bought it while the price was right for a future CNC conversion. BTW the web price just went up to $579.99, but the special order was still $549 at my local store (checked again today) and they took my 15% off coupon, so my total was ~$509.

Addendum: I just checked the HF manual and it actually shows the combo for 8tpi in their how to calculate example.

Hmm, i'm going to check the manual on HF's website. In all the wording on the website, it says 12tpi to 72tpi or something like that.

Thanks for the response!

Wade

You were right! Thanks much! Now I know for sure what lathe i'm going to buy.

Hey, can you email me a copy of your coupon that you used? Or post it in the forum?

Thanks,
    Wade

Sorry on the coupon, it was on a mailed sales flyer (name and address on it even) and has already been turned in.

I did use the 8x12 this evening. I only cleaned it up enough to give it a go and stuck the v belt on motor to spindle (625 RPM) w/o the toothed belt. Stuck a 3/8" cemented carbide bit on top of a 3/16" high speed bit (as a shim), called it close enough and turned some ratty old lawnmower lever bar into a couple of test fit pieces for another project. It was really nice and smooth and gave a great finish. Nothing like the 7x12 at all and I've spent _time_ on that sucker trying to make it better. I used the factory installed threading gears as a power feed and got no threading lines at all. I certainly wish this had been my first lathe, but I probably wouldn't have the 12x36 if it had been.