584,802 active members*
4,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Water Cooled Condenser

Water Cooled Condenser

We have a Water cooled condenser and its to expensive to switch over to air. But we run the condenser 24/7 and the water bill is going up like crazy. Last month it went up 150$. We need a solution to change that.

I would like to reuse the water. my idea is to have a water tank and a pump. Pump the water from the tank to a radiator that is outside that has a fan on it. And then in to the condenser. And back to the tank. The water in the tank would always be hot but it would go threw the radiator and cool down right b4 it goes into the condenser and cool it off. Reusing the water.

Let me know what you guys think of the idea. Any other suggestions would be great to.

I emailed the manufacture of the condenser and all they did was quote me a new air cooled compressor.

Don't see why that wouldn't work.
    You may need to make it a closed system and add antifreeze to keep anything from corroding,may also need to use distiled water.

By closed system. Do you mean not put the water tank in the system?

What kind of pump would I use then for that type of system. I half to use a pump to keep the water pressure up.

Also does anyone know how much a radiator such as this one can cool? Right now All the water going into the system is around 60 degrees. Also can that be mounted outside and not go bad from the rain?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19X28...spagenameZWDVW

By closed i mean not open to air,like a cars cooling system.
    The tank should work,maybe a large hydraulic tank.
    I'd make it a closed system to minimize evaporation.
    Distilled water to minimize mineral deposits,and coolant to minimize corrosion.
    I would think the radiator would be ok outside since it's made for a car.

Might also mention..
    That radiator is for an automobile so the fans are going to be 12V DC.

The rate of cooling is going to depend on the difference between the ambient temperature and the temperature of your water. So you're going to get better results by cooling the water when it's the hottest so a cold tank is a better way to go -- of course that might not be practical for your set up.

If you run the radiator in a closed loop, you might be able to get away with running it as a siphon without a dedicated pump.

Well I got some figures for you guys. If you guys want to give your imput on weather you think this would work.

Temp of water coming into the building: 62 Degrees right now

Temp of water leaving the condensor: 80 Degrees

I would like to have a constant 65-70 Degrees water going into the condensor.

The flow rate coming out of the condensor is around 2 gallons a min. So I assume its 2 gallons a min going into it to.

Here is the plan.

30 gallon tank with a pump in it. Pump the water from the tank to a radiator with fans blow on it. the radiator outside and then the water goes back inside to the condensor. and then the water comes out of the condensor and flows back into the tank.

My big consern is the water flowing back into the tank and the tank gradually getting hotter and hotter. Do you guys think that would be a issue?

If you are pumping the water through a radiator, like an automobile radiator, with a fan blowing air past it the important thing is the air temperature. If you want to get water coming out of the radiator at 65 - 70 degrees you would need an air temperature of around 50 - 55 maybe even lower depending on the size of your radiator.

I suspect your air temperatures are higher than that most of the year.

You might be able to make the radiator idea work if you cooled the air going through the radiator with an air conditioner; you would need one with a rating greater than 25,000 btu per hour. But this would mean you save on water cost and pay for the electricity to run the air conditioner.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

in the winter those air temps wouldnt be hard. But in the summer we have between 70-90 air temps. So that wouldnt work well. I dont think it would cost as much in electric to run the air conditioner and pump as paying 150-200$ more a month for water

you could just do away with the radiator and run a refrigerated chiller to cool the water,
    Much like the chiller on a horizontal Mazak.

Ya that is what I was just looking at. I was looking at this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

There is another way, run your water through a swamp cooler. In the summer you run the water and fan in the cooler. in the winter you can circulate the water throught the cooler as needed.

You can make it a closed loop or open loop. It takes a t/stat and tree way valve to make it work right but it make a good and cheap cooling tower.

mike

PS: you will need to increase the water flow from 2gpm to 3 gpm

Well I talked to a heating and cooling expert and he told me he can change my condensor over to a air cooled unit for less than buying a water chiller. So I think thats the way I am going. And not even mess with the water at all. Seems the simplist way.