585,708 active members*
3,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Wiring up motors drivers and break out board

ok. I have the KL-300-36 power supply, 3 KL-5042 drivers and 3 of the Keling Nema 23 425oz dual shaft motors. i have it all wired up and can only get it to run 15 IPM. Thats when i can get they system to run. i know i am doing something wrong but can't figure it out. I do have the motors wired to the power supply seperatly. I hope the pictures help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0033.jpg   IMG_0028.jpg  

Hi Nitroghost,

First thing you have to do is decide if you have an electrical, mechanical or software problem. Lets start with electrical. Here's some specs if you don't already have them http://www.kelinginc.net/KL-5042.pdf for your driver. Make sure step and direction jumpers are set up properly and motor current as well. You may only want to supply 80pecent or so current to your motors to prevent overheating. Performance won't be hurt much by that.

Now comes your power supply. This impacts your performance the most. The specs say 20-50v supply. Higher voltage allows for higher speeds. Closer to 50v the better but not too close. 36v is OK. Next is current, Specs didn't say what percent of motor current the drivers require for proper operation. Your supply is 6.6A and your three drivers supply 4.2A each for a total of 12.6A. Your supplying about 50% That might be your problem. Amperage controls the amount of torque you have especially at slow speeds.

Also turn down your acceleration in the software until you get things working and then increase it when you know everything else works fine.

What do you mean by when it works? Do your motors stall? Does the system not start at all? Might hold a clue as to your problem.

Chuck
    http://chuckscnc.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chazmtu View Post
    Hi Nitroghost,

What do you mean by when it works? Do your motors stall? Does the system not start at all? Might hold a clue as to your problem.

Chuck
    the system worked until i started to try and tune it. before when i tried to run the road runner sample the motors would stall at different points in the run. now it seems that i can sometimes get the motors to jogg when i do it manualy. i have tried to set the acceleration down almost all the way, and the velosity at 15ipm. i don't know how to set the power to the motors to anything other than what the the power supply was set at out of the box and what the drivers were set at out of the box as well. as you can tell i am not haveing to much luck at getting the motors tuned up. sometimes i can get the motors to jogg but only one way. what i mean is when i use the manuel jogging keys in Mach 3 they will only go to the positive side unless i click on them a couple times. i hope i am not to confuseing.

Jim

Yeah I had that problem before. Your jogging moves aren't working because you were either moving to fast, the acceleration was too high, or a software setting doesn't match your hardware. Sounds like the first. What you want to do is set your minimum speed, acceleration and maximum speed to something you know will work(something real slow). Make sure your software settings match you hardware(step on high signal ect.). Now slowly increase the maximum speed until you start missing steps while jogging. Now back it off 15 to 20 percent. Then do the same with minimum speed and finally acceleration. You do need to back off that much because your machine will move two axes at a time for interpolated moves and it will keep your machine more reliable.

My driver takes 12-40v and when I started I had a 12v supply and max speed of 11ipm then at 24v, 18ipm and now finally at 38v, 30+ ipm. If your not happy with the results after tuning try a higher voltage supply. You should see higher speeds and more heat at the motors.
    http://chuckscnc.blogspot.com/

still not moving like they should.

I have tuned the motors down to 9ipm and checked the ports and pins settings and i am not getting any closer to getting the motors to work like they should. I have the KL-300-36 power supply, 3 KL-5042 drivers and 3 of the Keling Nema 23 425oz dual shaft motors. Do i need a bigger power supply? is the 36 too small? Am i just totaly off with Mach 3? Help.....

Jim

If you are using Mach3, you may need to check this procedure
    Motor Tuning:
    The first thing in the tuning process is to
    calculate how many steps per unit of travel we have. This depends on a few things:
    In case of a step motor:

• The amount of steps per revolution, most commonly 200.

• The step resolution of the motor drive, if you set at 8

• And finally, the thread pitch of the screw. (How far the table moves with each rotation
    of the screw) let say it has a 5TPI pitch.

So Step per should be 200 x 8 x 5 = 8000. See here

http://www.kelinginc.net/Mach3Tutorial.doc

can anyone give me a idea as to where to start with these Emerson En-208 drives and mgm-340 servo motors I'm not sure of two things off the bat. One being this a 3 axis mill what size power supply do I need and how do distribute the single phase 240 volt main line from the fuse box to all of these drives I wanna use mach 3 software, this is a new build for me and is alot larger than my first stepper system. The other problem I have come to discover iss what kinda of breakout board do I need. I looked at the Ajax system using the MPU11 motion controller and the GPIO4D 3rd party drive It looks simple to wire up all except the part where it says It has to be expanded to 240volt, not sure how this is done either. Any body that has a clue on ideas to solve my problem your input is GREATLY appreciated, please send me a private message though for I'm new to this sight and don't wanna miss a reply thank you

NOW WHAT ?

can anyone give me a idea as to where to start with these Emerson En-208 drives and mgm-340 servo motors I'm not sure of two things off the bat. One being this a 3 axis mill what size power supply do I need and how do distribute the single phase 240 volt main line from the fuse box to all of these drives I wanna use mach 3 software, this is a new build for me and is alot larger than my first stepper system. The other problem I have come to discover iss what kinda of breakout board do I need. I looked at the Ajax system using the MPU11 motion controller and the GPIO4D 3rd party drive It looks simple to wire up all except the part where it says It has to be expanded to 240volt, not sure how this is done either. Any body that has a clue on ideas to solve my problem your input is GREATLY appreciated, please send me a private message though for I'm new to this sight and don't wanna miss a reply thank you