584,830 active members*
6,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 51 123412
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbeard52 View Post
    Khalid

As it turns out I happened onto a friend who has a manual version of this machine. I was amazed as to the simplicity it would be to convert it to cnc or build from scratch. Hers was a v-bearing design mounted on a 2 ft x 10 foot wooden table. I will get some pics and share them with you...If you are still interested in designing a cnc quilter. X and Y are the only axis needed. the foot has a cup of sorts to allow movement of Z axis in all directions so a stepper is not needed here. Maybe an A axis to control the rolling of the fabric to progress to the next line of quilting design.
    I think Mach3 could control this easily. standard acme screws will more than suffice for lead screws as it would not need to be fast. even a belt drive as accuracy is also not critical.

Bob
    Bob Thanks for reminding me this project... It will be interesting to see the pictures..Please post pictures of every parts in details.. Also ask ur friend How she managed to do Quilting operation..this will help us a lot in our designing phase...
    Yes A-axis will be mandatory..One end we will use A-axis and other end we will used spring loaded rolling mechanism..so that when A-axis rotate backward the required tension in quilt can be kept..
    Mach3 will easily control quilting machine Even built drives have high end accuracies as u can se in various Printers...

Bob.. thanks again for still working on PC Quilter ideas..My 3rd CNC machine is in progress it is more accurate (0.07mm) as my previous ones.. This CNC router will be completed upto 10th Jan, and after that my only aim is to build CNC quilter..
    Your help in this regard is highly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    There already is a CNC quilting machine. www.pcquilter.com

Wade
    Wade..we know that site..we are not introducing for the first time..but u can see the prices of that PCQuilter and those prices not include sewing machine price...

You know there are several CNC commercial machines available..but why peoples make DIY ones??..bcas they made on 1/10th of price of a standard CNC router..

We aim to make CNC Quilter only for our Zeal and knowledge...Once we succeed in producing such machine and our experimentation gives us a good results then u will see each CNCZoner that having wife/GF will make a one for her
    Regards

Khalid

Thanks for the reply... I will get some pics up next week and I think this would be a simple DIY.

Wade
    Yes as Khalid mentioned there are several type of these CNC versions but very cost prohibited... We do like to take things apart and see what makes them tick...lol... but more to the point its just the challenge to see if we can do it.

Bob

Now the question is how we will synchronise X-Y moves with the machine Z-moves and what design software we have to use........
    I have discussed that design with my Friend EMKAY.. He is also interested in this project but being as senior and involves in many projects time is short for him too .. He has basic concepts already behind the CNC Quilter..

I recently bought HZL-9900 JUKI machine for this purpose too ... I bought it in running condition for only abought 50US dollars...Its Second hand but currently my wife working on it and she is pretty happy with the results...... I have all the electronics stuff, V-rollers, Angle Irons on hand...Lets again CROSS the FINGERS..

Now Lets Keep this Project as an OBJECTIVE of this year-2009..
    I already got Translated all the Buttons of machine from Japanese to English..I thanks to those who helped me...

The throat of this machine is small but its enough for experimentation...Later we have approach to Large throat machines
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   pleasetranslate.jpg  

Just to clarify that we don't need such a complicated machine,as posted above, for our CNC Quilter...I just bought it because it has more than 200 designs and many many functions too...and my wife liked it and it was low cost...

I will use it for experimentation as well BUT Any simplest sewing machine that can do only straight stitching can be converted into CNC Quilter

The machine I saw was a simple single stitch commercial machine. the stitch pattern was controlled by the movement of the machine over paper strips with designs printed on them and a simple pointer for the guide. extremely simple concept but it was very effective. I dont think the throat was any deeper than a standard sewing machine. on the back of the table was several rollers that fed the material to be stitched...much like a weaving loom. the foot (Z axis) was a cup of sorts that would allow the sewing machine to travel in any direction without binding. Obviously pictures would make much better sense.

As the stitch was completed from one end or the other of the quilt the material was rolled to the next line of stitching and another pass was made.

Khalid

Your machine is far more complex than what I saw. I am not sure it would be of any better use than a simple sewing machine. as you machine would have to be located then the complex pattern sewn and moved for another run.

BOB.. We will experiment with simple single stitch machine..Whatever u describe is very interesting..Now i can't wait to see the pictures... Please post them as soon as possible

Drawings in Progress... The complete machine will be build up of MDF.. We will have 04long rollers on it... The top roller will roll the top fabric sheet.. The bottom Roller will roll the bottom fabric sheet...And between the two sheets we will have thin Quilt Foam..

Basic Idea is the roller will be advanced and tightened manually....The machine will work on two axis , we will make a contineous design so that machine can go along the long axis in single run..Then we will home the machine and The roller will be rolled manually for next position and tightened...

I think the quilting machine has nothing to do with Feed Dogs, so We will remove the Feed Dog or lower it down and we will install the Quilting drain feet... The Biggest Problem is that, I have search the Quilting drain feet and its not available here(chair)....

Today I will do some TOP SECRET EXPERIMENTATION sshhhhhhhhhhh...:stickpokeand the complete project is based on success of this experimentation...:drowning:

Lets Cross the fingers:cheers:

I think no need of special software for Gcode or any other langauage generation We will draw a single line vector that do not overlap and will make toolpath for it....

Just have to check the BOBBIN's thread how long last in a single run..I know its depends upon the complexity of design but we would have to think on this issue tooo

Have you guys looked at the Phlatprinter ?

Just a thought, that machine might help with ideas, they do have a design that has a roller for the long axis.

They also have a new forum.

Phlatprinter Video:

[ame="http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bh04zeQoFE"]YouTube - Phlatprinter - How it Works![/ame]

Free DXF - vectorink.com

switcher..
    Not thinking of that atleast for the time now..

EXPERIMENT-1

Yes..You are looking what you couldn't think off..The sewing machine riding on the MDF router.. Here is the story...

1- I kept a wooden plank on my Z-axis top and secured it with two sided tape..
    2- Removed the Presser Feet from the machine..
    3-To make the Feed dog inoperative i took a piece of card, made a slot in it and pastetd over the bed of sewing machine..

4- Made a simple Pentagon in the VCARVE PRO 4.6 and generated the toolpath for only X-Y moves..I kept the safe-Z=0 and all z-height=0, just like a plasma

5- Started the sewing machine....

7- Now I just hold the workpiece (Fabric) in my hand and my wife Pressed the Cycle Start button in Mach3.

8-Machine worked partially fine and u can see the first experiments results...

LESSON LEARNT:
    1- I must have to keep some sturdy arrangements for holding Fabric without human interaction. (Sturdy set-up)

2- Told the wife to make straight sticthes in one minute.. she started the machine and made 27" of stitch/30second...so got the sewing machine speed as 54"/minute

3-Now i will make toolpath for 54"/minute for checking the synchronization...

NOW YOU CAN TELL ME HOWZ THE RESULTS AND WHAT IMPROVEMENT CAN BE TAKEN FOR ENHANCING THE QUILTING RESULTS...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EXP-1.jpg   EXP-!a.jpg   Fed dog covering.jpg   Feed dog made inoperative.jpg  

Sewing results.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    Have you guys looked at the
    Just a thought, that machine might help with ideas, they do have a design that has a roller for the long axis.

Switcher, here is what in my mind...The machine will be not only run with CNC but u can easily convert it into manuall operation mode...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basic Idea.gif   From Backside.gif   Manuall mode closeup.gif  

Further Updates:

Todays I discussed through telephonic converssation with my CNC guru Friend EMMKAY.. The discussion was very interesting ..we come up with three options for Stitch Control of sewing machines

1- To use Commercial Cruise controller amount ranges from 450~ 600 US dollars

2- To make a cheap encoder out of mouse wheel, install it on the sewing machine wheel, get the degree (Angle between Needle Insertion to needle comes at just top of the hole) and use this feedback in our postprocessor...This will ensure that the X-Y movement of the table will only happen if the Needle is outside of the hole.

3- Remove the Machine motor and replace it with a stepper motor.

As this project is DIY and low cost so OPTION-1 is rejected... For Option-2 i will need help from the gurus here for producing a macro/postprocessor that move the table (X-Y) only when the needle is outside the hole..Its just the as of drilling operation...All the needle feedback will be recieved through the encoder..

Any Thoughts???

If you replace the machine motor with a stepper motor, you could write the g-code to control the needle height as a "Z-axis"

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Great Job Khalid !!
    I have seen some industrial embroidery machines in operation and they have an induction motor deriving the needle. The sewing heads of those machines were static and only the X-Y table was moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    If you replace the machine motor with a stepper motor, you could write the g-code to control the needle height as a "Z-axis"

Yes switcher..but this will not as simple as we go to OPTION-2.. The option-2 will give us better control and higher speed of quilting... We will generate a tool path say from your program Sketch2Code (suppose we do that), now we can generate the toolpath, that will have no z-axis (Needle movement)... Then we can make a small VB MAcro to put Z-gcode inbetween each X-Y command...

eg

G00 X0 Y0
    G00 Z X
    G00 X1 Y1
    G00 Z X

Perhaps you can make a toolpath specific for this machine...

Quote Originally Posted by Alie View Post
    Great Job Khalid !!
    I have seen some industrial embroidery machines in operation and they have an induction motor deriving the needle. The sewing heads of those machines were static and only the X-Y table was moving.
    Okay thanks for the info Alie.

Started working on some CONCEPTUAL DRAWINGS for the machine structure..Later we will built detailed drawing for CNC cutting...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OCTAM QUILTER.jpg   OCTAM QUILTER1.jpg  

A few things to help you out.

#1) Get a "hopping foot" or "embroidery foot" for your sewing machine. A regular foot doesn't give the kind of movement required for quilting operations.

#2) Don't bother with a speed encoder. You can acheive excellent results but keeping the quilting speed of your sewing machine consistent and always moving the cnc portion of the system at a set speed. You will have to figure out some way to create pauses at angles greater than 45 degrees or you will not get detailed points of any kind and the sewing will look very sloppy. When the PCQuilter was first designed and created, the inventor was unable to make use of standard CNC software and had to create his own XY language and controller software because of the lack of features required by running a sewing machine.

#3) On your quilting frame, you will need some way to keep the rollers locked and taught. You will also have to attach something to the sides of the quilt (i'd suggest elastic bands) to keep the left and right movement of the machine from distorting your sewing.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid View Post
    Further Updates:

Todays I discussed through telephonic converssation with my CNC guru Friend EMMKAY.. The discussion was very interesting ..we come up with three options for Stitch Control of sewing machines

1- To use Commercial Cruise controller amount ranges from 450~ 600 US dollars

2- To make a cheap encoder out of mouse wheel, install it on the sewing machine wheel, get the degree (Angle between Needle Insertion to needle comes at just top of the hole) and use this feedback in our postprocessor...This will ensure that the X-Y movement of the table will only happen if the Needle is outside of the hole.

As this project is DIY and low cost so OPTION-1 is rejected... For Option-2 i will need help from the gurus here for producing a macro/postprocessor that move the table (X-Y) only when the needle is outside the hole..Its just the as of drilling operation...All the needle feedback will be recieved through the encoder..

Any Thoughts???

Page 2 of 51 123412