585,578 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Hello and a plea for help

Hello and a plea for help

Hello everyone.

I am new to CNC so please try and be patient with me

I have managed, with the generous help of a friend, to convert a Seig X2 Mini Mill to CNC control - just the basic X Y Z axis which uses a pc running Mach3 to control it.

I have managed to program it to cut straight lines etc, and can even make it cut diagonals, but what I am trying to do is totally beyond me and I was hoping that someone would be able to help or point me in the right direction.

What I have been using the machine for is, along with my lathe, machine parts for a custom target rifle I am building at the moment (Air Rifle running at a legal limt of under 12 ft/lb in the UK)

My problem, I have no idea how on earth to do CAD and so, as far as I can tell, am totally unable to acurately program curves into Gcode.

From what I have gathered, if I could draw the shape I want into a CAD program - for example AutoCAD - then this software can then port out in a format that can be read by Mach3 and turned into Gcode ?

Is this correct ?

Does this make sense ? lol

My question - and sorry for going on so long - can anybody give me advice on how to learn the basics of a CAD package able to output in Mach3 friendly format, and which would be the best package to learn. (By best - read easiest and simplist)

Thanks in advance
    Westy

You have the CAD, what you need is the CAM part of CAD/CAM this take the cad file and places tool paths with offsets etc and turns it in to G code,
    Do a search for CAD/CAM as some have a limited function demo version.
    If you want a free simulator, there is MicroTech CNCSimulator, but you need to write the program in Gcode if you do not have it converted by CAM.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.