585,996 active members*
4,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Looking for Motor upgrade suggestions for X3 w/Belt drive

Looking for Motor upgrade suggestions for X3 w/Belt drive

I am working a belt drive conversion for my X3, not sure If I will make there as my motor and drive train sounds like it is about to explode. So I am in need of some advice on the following.

1. Spindle bearings to handle 4000rpm
    2. Motor upgrade(not breaking the bank)
    Donald

the stock bearings will handle 4000 just fine. Use a good synthetic oil, I use amsoil motorcycle oil. It works awesome and keeps everything real nice and lubed

That leads me to another question I been wandering. I am new to all this and what and how do you oil/lube the spindle bearings. As you can tell I have not had it all appart.
    Donald

Like I said, I use a synthetic motorcycle oil. Its at 10w-40. The first time I used it I could actually tell the difference in sound, the gears were quieter and ran smoother. I just use a basic pump oil can and put a bunch through the oil ports. U can also repack the spindle bearings with a grease if you take them apart, which is not recommended. Then you can pretty much forget oil.

Oil ports? I guess I better do some looking, I don't recall any but then again it has been almost a year since I put mine in its enclosure.
    Donald

The little oil nipples that are on the right side of the head if you are facing it. One is on the gear cover, the other is on the head itself.

I was about to go nuts. This must only be on the x3 and not the Sx3 model. I have none of those ports on mine.

I was confused.

Yeah, I am talking about the X3. I tried using those ports, but I think i spilled more oil than went in. So I took my head appart, and found about every screw in it loose. I did find my belt was eaten up really bad. I am not sure why as my machine has not that much time on it. It appeared to be lined up good. I installed the spare the came with my mill so no to get me another spare for sure. I greased the crap out of it and still roars bad. I did not bust into the spindle I have to figure out how that comes appart still.

I also got to confirm a few things about my belt conversion. The out side of my motor say .8 HP and 4000rpm. So that lead me to believe the hi speed of the mill 2:1 ratio. I am thinking moving toward 1.5:1 to give me around 3000rpm.
    Donald