584,866 active members*
5,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad V.22 crashes and Vista

Bobcad V.22 crashes and Vista

When sold this software the long winded salesman assured me that it would operate fine with Windows Vista. It seems that I have to save my work every 10 or so operations because the program frequently locks up and has to be restarted with all new data lost. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks, Robin

Have you contacted support?

Regards

bobcad/vista

Not yet, but I will. I just wanted to see if others are experiencing the same issues. So far the software generates good code without any tweaking prior to executing on my Haas mill. I wish that you had a printed manual or printable version as I feel the online help somewhat lacking...might save BC tech's time aswering more basic questions ovewr the phone. JMO.

Robin A.

Quote Originally Posted by rardoin View Post
    When sold this software the long winded salesman assured me that it would operate fine with Windows Vista. It seems that I have to save my work every 10 or so operations because the program frequently locks up and has to be restarted with all new data lost. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks, Robin
    Format C, install XP ........solved most of my problems

I presume you mean ditching the Vista OS altogether, or am I missing something? When I purchased this laptop I preferred to get XP (I dislike Vista for reasons far beyond my troubles with BC) but all were sold with Vista OS.

Thanks, Robin

I returned the circuit city PC because all they can sell you is Vista. I had a computer built and had XP pro installed. I dont know much about computers, but it seems that XP pro is more suited for working rather than just surfing and emailing.
    Yes ditch the Vista, BCC has a few bugs that you may encounter so you dont need additional problems associated with Vista.

Thanks for the reply. I e-mailed tech support but I am afraid that the solution may be as you suggest or wait for an update that may or may not be any better!

I have been using v22 on vista ultimate ,with no problems at all.I just followed instructions that are highlighted on the bobcad website under support, this instructs you to set specific program files for compatability with windows xp.Once done you should have better success.

Paul

Thanks all. Tech support recommended increasing virtual memory which I did and it appears that the problem is solved. So far with about one hour run time in cad and cam side it has not locked up yet (it was happening every 8-10 minutes or so before). A good product for the money with good tech support. It is a great alternative to spending 30-35,000 on a seat of Solidworks and Mastercam when you do machine work mainly for the sheer enjoyment of it.

Robin

Thats good to know. I agree its a good product, well worth the price.