585,938 active members*
3,097 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Z-Profiles

Z-Profiles

I know this should be easy, but I cant figure out how to do simple ramps on contours. For example, say I have a 1" X 3" rectangular contour that I want a 45 degree angle on from z Z-level of 0 on one of the long sides to a z-level of -1" on the other long side (all the way across). The examples I looked at on the dolphin site used 'GoRounds' to create z-profile contours around the outside of the part but that's not really what i want to do. It seems like what I really want to do is an area clear to a certain depth specifying a profile on that but I dont think that is an option. I am attaching a .dra file (renamed to .txt) if someone could help me figure this out.

Thanks!
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Alright - maybe I got this figured out. Instead of doing a contour of the entire part (the rectangle), I made a contour out of just one long end line and then did a goround with a right offset and it looks like maybe that is what I am trying to do.

You need to use the Ramp option under the Approach tab of the Goround dialogue.

The attached file shows the principle (rename the .txt to .cnc), this file will probably only work with Vs10.

There are lots of options for this assuming you have level 3.

ATB
    Andre

I think that would work if I did it only along one edge but the example looks like it sort of ramps it but only around the edge - is it possible to use ramping on an area clea? I do have level 3 so whatever is available in there -

Here is a rough sketch of sort of what I am trying to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ramp.jpg  

I think if you draw the part and also draw the end view of the angled plane so it will be a single line the length of the inclined plane and at the angle of that plane you can use this to create the toolpaths for this feature. After sending it to the CAM side you can select the tool(Ball mill??) and then select create Zprofile from the machining drop down menu. For the Profile click the ? and slect the angled plane profile or select the profile from the dropdown list and fill in the needed blanks in the dialogue(X and Y start points etc).Click the Surface tab click Create Ruled surface, fill in the rest(Linear distance of slots, number of slots, machine alternate slots in reverse direction) I think that will do the inclined surface, and then you just need to do the remaining contours etc. Try drawing a simple example(that's what I did to see) or use the actual part if already drawn and view the simulation to make sure it looks right. I will attach the one I used for example. Not sure if this is the right way as I have not used this yet, but the simulation seems correct except it is not starting at the upper most corner and is milling more along the sides or the end mill, can probably start diferently to do it otherwise. Hope it helps.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

I see what you mean now, Wes is right - use Z profile, as per his example.

Just one more thing, if you wish to step down the cuts in Z use the "More Options" tab under Z profile and set the Cut depth accordingly, this will produce a number of Z passes but will not "fresh air cut".

ATB
    Andre

Yeah, that looks like it will work - thanks! I will play around with this a little and see if I can incorporate it into my drawing.

-Kevin

you can use a merge to do that create 2 lines running the same direction
    in merge call the top line 0 and the bottom line say -10 then play around with the options see what happens

Is this all possible with the Level 2 software?

I needed to do something like this a few weeks ago and could not figure it out.

Mike

Level 2 does not offer any Z axis profiling options.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Sorry Mike, but the Z axis profile options are not available in Level 2. In Level 3 it is included.
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by metalworkz View Post
    Sorry Mike, but the Z axis profile options are not available in Level 2. In Level 3 is is included.
    Regards,
    oh pooh! Might have to upgrade then. I'm going to need this capability sometime.

Mike

too many mikes on here :-)

mike

Sorry, might have to be more specific(which Mike) from now on!
    Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes