586,000 active members*
5,151 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Chip Removal with Compressed Air

Chip Removal with Compressed Air

Hi everyone,
    I am fairly certain this question/need has been addressed before but I am having trouble finding it on cnczone. I want to "hook up" a compressed air line to my little Taig mill so that I don't have to constantly blow out chips manually.
    Is there a old thread that explains how to do this? Or can someone tell me how to do it? Or is not feasible to do in my garage (i.e. Do you need a really expensive air compressor.)?
    Attaching the air hose close to the cutter seems easy enough but I am not sure what type of air compressor would be suitable/ideal for this application.
    Or maybe there is an easier method to accomplish my goal of automated chip removal?
    Can someone help me out? Thanks-Josh

Go ahead.
    Use small diameter tuning (3/16 OD) and install an inline flow control to adjust the airstream with.
    Then get yourself a $100 compressor to run it with.
    Bear in mind that these inexpensive compressors tend to be noisy and have a limited duty factor.

Better yet would be to use an air mist system, to lube and cool your cutter as well.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Some have had luck with aquarium air pumps (not the cheapo ones), much smaller and quieter than a cheap compressor. I may go this route after I get a little more cnc experience.

I show exactly how I did this with my TAIG mill here - http://www.nyccnc.com/Herbie/HERBIES...ompressor.html
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I did something a little different. I took a mag base that I found that was for oil lines. I just added a few adapters to it, hooked it up to my compressor, and wa-la! I had adjustable air nozzles. I'm no longer using them anymore as I went to the fogbuster system.

You can order them here: http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...nt_Hose_System

In addition, if you want a place to buy tooling pretty cheap that works good (at least everything I have bought works good) check out this tooling company. www.shars.com

Cheers!

Wade