585,761 active members*
4,225 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Settings for file transfer on M32

Does anyone have a list of their current settings for using tape I/O for file transfer?
    Cable pinouts and G-user param. settings?
    Plus any vodoo rituals I might need to re-inact?

My current cable is:

db25 db9
    2 2
    3 3
    7 5
    4-5 jumped
    6-8-20 jumped

I have tried some different G-param. settings, to no avail. I am trying to punch a program out of the control (EIA), once I have that down I will try uploading. Any help is greatly appreciated!

if i have a chance,i will look it up for you when i get to work tomorrow.
    It's been over 10yrs since we hooked ours up so i'm a little unfamiliar with it at the moment.

I will be in your debt!

here is the pin layout.
    Not sure i've ever seen one like this,but supposedly Mazak hooked it up.
    it's just for file transfer,we don't run any DNC.

comp______________machine
    9 pin ____________25 pin

2--------------------2
    3--------------------3
    4-6------------------6
    5--------------------7
    7-8------------------5
    _________________ 8-20
    On the 9 pin, 4-6 are jumped
    7-8 are jumped

the 25 pin, 8-20 are jumped

Thanks, that is a strange looking cable.
    I tried it, still cant get any info punched out to my pc. Are you useing tape I/O for transfer? I dont have the dnc option.
    Any way you can check and see what your user parameters (G) are set at?

you only need 3 wires going thru
    2-3
    3-2
    7-7

on computer end
    jump
    4-5
    6-8-20

i am working on memory. i will check tommorow and verify, we have 18 mazaks that we use tape mode on.

I am running 25 pin at control, 9 at machine.....I cant jump as above but i am guessing that you mean jump 4-5,,,6-8-20 at control.

I ordered a cable that was made for the control, tried it today with no luck. I am about to call mazak and see if a tech can come out and get this going. something might be wrong on the control.

crap..I know why it won't work.
    We use CMT mode

Mazak faxed me a 10 page "how to" useing hyperterminal. I set it up as directed, still no communication.

The control punches, at least it reads "I/O busy", when punching. I can change certain settings and get alarms at the control, I think it is working properly.

the ports and cable tests good with rs232 tester. I am convinced that it is a G-something user parameter that is set wrong. I have read the paramter discriptions and tried several settings, to no avail.

So, if anyone is currently (or has ever) using tape mode to transfer EIA programs in/out of a M32B control, I am all ears, and would like to hear about what is working for you, from settings to procedures.

cable

here is a copy of cable configurations foer mazaks. and the params . try this
    and let me know what happens, we use this cable for tape, computer, and cmt on our mazaks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks, I might get to it this weekend, let you know how it goes. I started this machine up last Friday, been trying to transfer programs a few hours a day ever since, this is getting embarrasing......

Mr. Fish, thanks!
    I built the cable, set the settings, followed the procedure, and can now upload to control. I still cannot download, which is very weird, but I can at least get going now. Thanks alot!

I am still trying to figure out how to run large programs in tape mode, I think it is just a procedural issue, the control will load code until full but I cannot get it to start executing code.

what program are you using to transfer?

Hi, I just discovered this Web-site today it looks like a great fourm to be part of.
    I have a 1994 Mazak M32 and we have always had some file transfer problems, but we get around most of them. I find it is quite fickle some times. We have not had much luck up loading programs back to the PC which is what I would like to do, due to the small amount of memory unboard. we use mastercam for all of our programing but their are times when our operator writes programs in mazatrol and of course I would like to save them. Is there a way to up load mazatrol programs to our PC just to store them. and what is them the most reasonably priced way of doing so.

I am using "dnc precision" software to send to control. I tried hyperterminal, as directed by mazak literature, but had no luck. I dont know how this software stacks up with others, it fit the bill when I started buying machines, (was cheap and worked with heidenhein). It has a neat feture that will read what comes from your control and tell you what to set your settings to, and will help you edit junk until you get it right.

jwally, from what I have read, you need to use "cmt" to send out mazatrol programs. Your software at PC must support that protocol.

you can upload and download mazatrol and eia programs with the tapemode
    or computer mode with the cable described . we are using multi-dnc but we also use cimco to send and recieve. make sure you go thru all of the settings
    and have your software recognise % as start and end of programs. 8 bits at machine and 7 at pc.if you dont have the xon/xoff settings correct it may take two people to get it to go before timing out.1 person to hit send on machine and another to hit recieve on computer immediately after. I will try to send a complete list of
    the params we use . look around for a version of cimco edit and try it.

Although we have mastercam 9 and mastercam X, we use Mastercam 8 for most of our programing and all of our file transfering.