584,874 active members*
5,162 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc Oi-MB Relative display

Hi all,
    I am using a richmond VMC in a new job. I am trying to set it up with a tool length measuring proceedure which will give us a true indication of tool tip position relative to the workpiece.
    Currently, the dist to go is our only guide, which only helps avoiding a crash really. The Relative and Absolute disps are something different, eg. T1 will rapid to 50mm (2") above Z0 but disp says 185.21(this no is I think the 50mm plus the tool length).
    Can anyone suggest or recommend their process of setting tool lengths and G54-G59 to get over this problem?
    Thanks

Check parameter 3104 bit 6 (second from left), if it is currently set to 0, change to 1, or if it is 1, change to 0. This should fix the display problem on absolute display, assuming your offsets are correct. Change bit 4 for relative display, but I generally don't worry about it.

I have already explained tool offset setting in this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47881

And G54-G59 in this post http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...52&postcount=2

Thanks mate, I was looking at that 3104 and bit 6 is set to 0, which I thought would be what I wanted(showing position accounting for tool length offset).
    spose it wouldn't hurt to change it like you suggest! Except I did try, but it wouldn't let me. I've not delved into parameters before, how do you turn off the write protect, if you don't mind me asking?

Go into Settings and turn PWE (Parameter Write Enable) and change it to a 1. You'll get an alarm, but that's ok. Change the parameter in question, then change PWE back to 0.

Before you dive into changing bits ,the faunc control is japanesse based that means they read from right to left instead from left to right like we do.And also the first bit starting from the right is counted as 0
    So bit 6 would be the seventh place from the right.
    Tim
    Tim

Yes, I probably should have explained a little better about the bits thing, but I do it so often, I forget there are people who don't know these things.

The manuals are a little confusing in the way they are worded (probably lost in translation), but what 3104#6 refers to is that when set to 0 the position display will show actual position of the spindle (and therefore will be programmed position plus offset), whereas when set to 1, it shows the programmed position(which has already compensated for offset). So in effect, the meanings seem backwards.

Hope this help, Oz

Thanks everyone.

You all gave good advice. I've now got the m/c set up the way I want. Which I think is safer and quicker to get running. While in the parameters, I "fixed" another issue that was bugging me as well. Rapid over-ride at 0% did not actually stop the m/c, but let it continue on it's merry way at about 1 or 2% (what the...)!

CNC Zone I feel is an invaluable source of info. The guys in the shop had resigned themselves to using this m/c in that state. The boss had paid a "cnc man" $600 and lost a days production for no result!

Thanks again everyone,
    Dave.

Re: Fanuc Oi-MB Relative display

Hello, What control does your machine has?
    I have missing the O9001 macro for tool change. Can you share it?

My email address is [email protected]

Thank you

jolulank

Quote Originally Posted by zooloader View Post
    Hi all,
    I am using a richmond VMC in a new job. I am trying to set it up with a tool length measuring proceedure which will give us a true indication of tool tip position relative to the workpiece.
    Currently, the dist to go is our only guide, which only helps avoiding a crash really. The Relative and Absolute disps are something different, eg. T1 will rapid to 50mm (2") above Z0 but disp says 185.21(this no is I think the 50mm plus the tool length).
    Can anyone suggest or recommend their process of setting tool lengths and G54-G59 to get over this problem?
    Thanks
    www.doctornumerico.com
    cnc physicians