584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: PLEASE HELP!

PLEASE HELP!

I'm currently working on a summative project for my grade 12 manufacturing Engineering Technology class, and it's going to be a "twisted block" (imagine taking a rectangular prism and "twisting it" one quarter turn). I am designing it on AutoCAD LT 2000i, and cutting it on a 3-axis Haas Mini-Mill.

I have most of the drafting done, but I've hit a roadblock: Since I'm using a 2-d drafting program to plot this, I need to figure out a few things. I dont have the luxury of tangency or loft functions, so in order to cut the 3-d "flutes", i need to know how to program arcs in the z-axis (universal G-Code). Also, was wondering if it is possible for the haas to cut both an arc in the x-y plane AND the z-axis at the same time.

If ANYONE can help me with this I would be very grateful. Just drop me an example-line of code (e.g. "z-0.200; g03 z-0.350 r.315" etc. etc...)

Thank You

-James
    AutoCAD LT 2000 is my homeboy.

P.S: I can send the autocad .dxf files if you would like them as a reference.

thanks
    AutoCAD LT 2000 is my homeboy.

Try downloading a trial version of Bobcad, I am not sure if you can produce code with it or not but it may be worth looking into.

Programming anything 3-d or complex using Autocad and g-code is just a mental punishment on yourself. You need to work smarter not harder, and Autocad is a dinosaur in the manufacturing world it is a terrible software for a machine shop.

You may even want to contact bobcad or any CAM manufacturer and see if you can get a educational version for your school for free or at least super cheap. I know the folks from bobcad were trying to push a new version on me and they were talking only like $750, so they may be willing to help you and your school out.
    Live free or die

To program arcs in z should be the same as anything.

g1x0.0z0.0
    g3x-1.0z-1.0r2.0

should be something like that(i dont run HAAS anymore), you may need to be in the g19 plane
    Live free or die

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Reamer View Post
    You may even want to contact bobcad or any CAM manufacturer and see if you can get a educational version for your school for free or at least super cheap.
    Here's one with a fully functional 30 day demo. As a former Mastercam user I found it clumsy. Maybe someone without CAM preconceptions would get on with it better. It has tutorials built into the main program window(s), a nice touch.
    http://www.webersys.com/

Last I saw they had very good (almost free) pricing for students.

I'm suggesting CAM without understanding what a twisted block is exactly. Sounds like something m.c. escher might have drawn
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.