585,885 active members*
6,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Spindle mounted microscope for fine alignment?

Spindle mounted microscope for fine alignment?

I have an application where I will be drill tiny tiny holes using drill bits in the range of .002-.010.

I have a fellow who showed me a telescope that mounted in the spindle that allowed him to line up the holes visually with a cross-hair - I can't using any probing tools due to the small nature of the parts.

Has anyone seen or know where to get such a tool?

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pmurdock View Post
    I have an application where I will be drill tiny tiny holes using drill bits in the range of .002-.010.

I have a fellow who showed me a telescope that mounted in the spindle that allowed him to line up the holes visually with a cross-hair - I can't using any probing tools due to the small nature of the parts.

cheers,
    Paul

You may well be able to find a proximity sensor that works for your task. That's what I use for tools as small as 0.072" in diameter. You will likely need a smaller proxy, but it should do the trick without making physical contact with the end of the tool. See also:

http://www.oretek.com/micromill/user.shtml#edge

and

http://www.oretek.com/micromill/user.shtml#proxy

Also, and I have yet to determine the relationship, but the smaller the tool, the slower the feed rate. For a #36 drill, I typically peck at 0.025 increments and 5 ipm, whereas a 13/64 or 1/4" can go much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by pmurdock View Post

cheers,
    Paul
    Paul,

A little pricy but I think this is what you are looking for.
    http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=42563566

I've used this model, works very well once you set it.

Added:

I found this one on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Finn-Centering-S...QQcmdZViewItem

I've also used a sewing needle to align.

Scott
    Some of my best finds were in the trash....

Google optical centering scope
    DZASTR

I've used similar to centre tools on a diamond turning lathe. The scope was rigidly mounted near the headstock and I knew the distance from the microscope cross hairs to the spindle centreline. I recorded the X value when the tool was at the crosshairs set X0, move the distance from crosshairs to centreline and reset X0.

It was also handy to set the tool height by focussing on the tool cutting edge.

Finding the distance from the scope to the spindle centreline I achieved by pointing another microscope at a flat I'd cut and rotating it to find the centreline. I then racked this scope across to the first one and recorded the X value when it focused on the crosshairs. This was the distance from scope 1 to the spindle centreline.

My system was a homemade job, so professional ones will probably be better, but the principle will be the same.
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.