• Miniaturized control card plugged onto external power stage

6 25.00%
  • Monolithic design on single PCB

8 33.33%
  • Other, please specify

2 8.33%
Page 2 of 2 12
    I just reviewed this thread quickly...

I am glad to see that hi-voltage parts are being developed, too Can't wait to see what will come out!
    M preference would be in the same order as you quoted them, the monolithic being the "worst case"

A question: why do you want to use MOSFET-s ? at higher voltages they are sensitive, as well as high currents are problematic. I'd suggest IGBT-s they are superior, when it is about voltages of ~300V and currents of tens of Amps
    (a mains-powered 220V AC version would have ca. 300V bus voltage)

Quote Originally Posted by hunserv View Post
    A question: why do you want to use MOSFET-s ? at higher voltages they are sensitive, as well as high currents are problematic. I'd suggest IGBT-s they are superior, when it is about voltages of ~300V and currents of tens of Amps
    (a mains-powered 220V AC version would have ca. 300V bus voltage)
    MOSFETs are superior in about 0-150V range and IGBT 250-xxxxV. In about 150-250V range there is no clear winner so it depends on application.

VSD-A has IGBT stage and VSD-E MOSFETs. I could consider IGBT for higher voltage VSD-E, too.

Count me in if you can produce a drive that will actually supply 200V at 20A continuous, and at least 50A intermittent.
    A dumping circuit would be nice, so it won't fry, when the inevitable crash happens.
    Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Count me in if you can produce a drive that will actually supply 200V at 20A continuous, and at least 50A intermittent.
    A dumping circuit would be nice, so it won't fry, when the inevitable crash happens.
    Keep up the good work.
    Dumping circuit is not necessary to protect drive in hard stop, no matter how much energy is stored in motion. Also regenerative voltage won't hurt it since drive disables before voltage goes too high.

Attach an lead screw to the moon and use servo motor with VSD drive to crash moon on earth near light speed. No damage to VSD will happen due to continuous current control (unless drive gets crushed by the moon).

Hi, I'd have some questions.
    -I sadly see on yor site, that VSD-A is no longer produced. does it mean that some new is coming out soon?
    -Within this planned modular design, are you planning a powerstage which supports regenerating to supply?
    -Will the new design have the same PID algorithm as previous ones?
    -Is there any reference where we could see which exact PID scheme it uses? (hopefully not the "textbook" basic one, but some more advanced, as differential term acting on feedback signal only, etc...)
    -Are you planning some more features, e.g. making real-time motor-load outputs (I asked it earlier)

Thanks,

Aks

Hi, I'd have some questions.
    -I sadly see on yor site, that VSD-A is no longer produced. does it mean that some new is coming out soon?
    -Within this planned modular design, are you planning a powerstage which supports regenerating to supply?
    -Will the new design have the same PID algorithm as previous ones?
    -Is there any reference where we could see which exact PID scheme it uses? (hopefully not the "textbook" basic one, but some more advanced, as differential term acting on feedback signal only, etc...)
    -Are you planning some more features, e.g. making real-time motor-load outputs (I asked it earlier)
    -Yes, we should get VSD-E final protos on week 32 and the first production run soon after that.

-Regenerative braking "shunt regulator" can be built without help of drive logic. However, one output pin could be assigned for regen brake control if needed.

-Same PID but also a PIV algorithm. I try to find time to document both well.

-Hardware doesn't have analog outputs. Digital output pins could be used to monitor conditions (follow error warning for example). SPI bus can be used for monitoring, too.

Question Am I a little backward ?

A phase controlled SCR bridge can be made for peanuts and handle enough to blow the wiring off the wall without failing.
    Ultra simple drive, no big capacitors needed. Just a few snubbers.

Do you need full 4 quadrant control, or is reverse with a switch/contactor OK?

Any comments?
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    ...Attach an lead screw to the moon and use servo motor with VSD drive to crash moon on earth near light speed. No damage to VSD will happen due to continuous current control (unless drive gets crushed by the moon).
    So, at this point someone is suppose to jump in with all the numbers required to accel the moon to near lightspeed before it hits the earth, and how much energy that would require given the mass of the moon, and then congratulate Xerxes on building a drive that can output that much power.

neilw, SCR drive is Ok for turning pulleys in spindle and other raw power applications, but not for positioning servos. No enough control bandwidth.

--

The moon acceleration might require a few VSD's connected in parallel

Red face Gone adrift..

Xerxes..

Oops... too late here. I missed the thread (of things) :tired: Go fast IGBT's driven by IR parts. in a H-Bridge.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

SPI bus monitoring is OK, too imho, and if someone wants analog can hook a microcontroller on it

And some more questions...
    -When do you think you will have time to describe these algorithms?

-What development time do you predict for the modular controllers?

I am really keen on it, I can't say enough that I was impressed by the performace/cost ratio of the VSD-A

As I see most guys here are beyond the hobby-category, (low power) but there are still few freaks like me, who need higher outputs, which are closer to the industrial grades...

SPI bus monitoring is OK, too imho, and if someone wants analog can hook a microcontroller on it

And some more questions...
    -When do you think you will have time to describe these algorithms?

-What development time do you predict for the modular controllers?

I am really keen on it, I can't say enough that I was impressed by the performace/cost ratio of the VSD-A

As I see most guys here are beyond the hobby-category, (low power) but there are still few freaks like me, who need higher outputs, which are closer to the industrial grades...
    I'm doing my best to get detailed block diagrams in VSD-E manual which should be ready soon.

About VSD-Core I don't have any schedule yet. There are other things to be finished first. Product release date could be within a year.

xerxes did you get a chance to read my PM?

Page 2 of 2 12