502,942 active members
5,069 visitors online
Register for free
Login

Thread: Whoops

Page 2 of 4 1234
    Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duenow View Post
    ....Now I do have engine lathes with big 3 jaw chucks for one or 2 parts.
    Years ago I had big turret lathes; Herbert #7's with 14" and 16" chucks. I stopped one of these once when a piece of parted off steel bar stock fell down between the chuck jaw and the saddle. What a bang; full stop within less than a degree of rotation from 1200 rpm. And nothing broke!!!
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gold Member
    The replacement turret was shipped as promised UPS Blue, arrived at my Haas dealer as expected two days later...and was promptly forwarded by some super zealous, but misguided person, to the wrong customer!!!!!

Registered
    Geof,
    Do you know if the new style turret is available yet? If so is that the one you are getting? I heard it is suppose to be much faster and much more reliable but the last time I talked to Haas they were still working on it. My turret is starting to have problems again but I wont replace it until the new one is ready.

Mark Hockett

Gold Member
    The last information I had on the new TL turret was about a year ago before I decided to buy the machine I have. The new turret, supposedly, was going to be available sometime late summer last year, and be much faster, but it was only going to be on the machines with the big display and usb port. I wanted a floppy drive so I went for the old style.

I was told that the new one would not be retrofittable in place of the old style because it is a true servo-driven turret. The old style is just a little gear motor.

What problems are you having? I have two TLs with turrets, and apart from it being inadequately constructed to survive being used as a spindle brake, so far have not had any problems.

Registered
    Geof,
    Mt turret is starting to alarm out on position 4 again. It is also having troubles locking into position. its binds and makes a loud poping noise when locking.
    It is also just way too slow for production, I can use an Aloris and manually change tools faster. The problem with the Aloris is it is not very repeatable, my turret will hold a couple of tenths.

The gang tool system seems to be the best set-up for the TL-1, remove the X axis handwheel and apron, set the rapids up to SL-10 speeds and let her rip

Mark Hockett

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    ...makes a loud poping noise when locking.
    It is also just way too slow for production,...Mark Hockett
    I have not (touch wood) had any locking problems or position alarms on either of my TLs, but I do agree it is painfully slow. The TL2 changer is faster than the older TL1 but still slow for production. And a thought came into my head; maybe I can switch the drive motor from the one I destroyed into the changer on the TL1 to speed it up. Have to think about that.

Even with the handwheel removed I think SL10 rapids would be a bit scary, I sometimes find them scary on a SL10.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Even with the handwheel removed I think SL10 rapids would be a bit scary, I sometimes find them scary on a SL10.
    Geof,
    You can't just remove the handwheels at those speeds, you must remove the whole apron or it will strip the rack gear teeth right off. I think the SL-10 is kind of slow compared to machines like the Daewoo or many others. My friend has a Daewoo sitting right next to an SL-10 and the Daewoo is much faster.

Mark Hockett

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    Geof,
    You can't just remove the handwheels at those speeds, you must remove the whole apron or it will strip the rack gear teeth right off. I think the SL-10 is kind of slow compared to machines like the Daewoo or many others. My friend has a Daewoo sitting right next to an SL-10 and the Daewoo is much faster.

Mark Hockett

Why yes, Yes it is...

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Why yes, Yes it is...
    Jim,
    Not only is the Daewoo faster it also make more parts because it doesn't break down as much right?
    Jim, BTW I delivered a bunch of fraser's parts on Tuesday, I will be done with my end of it next Wed.

Mark Hockett

Gold Member
    I did remove the apron; I think the servos would poop out trying to drive the rack that fast.

And I think a Daewoo would would double scary.

On production stuff to save time a sometimes program for very close tool changes, 0.2" clearance is just as good as 2" and on parts with many toolchanges the seconds do add up. But the first time I press the green button with the Rapids at 100% and Single Block turned off, after proving everything, I still get that tense feeling.

Registered
    Yea Geof, think about doing that at 1430ipm.
    when I first got my Daewoo, I was running a little brass job, put and take job, had the door open and pushed the go button. Man oh man is this thing fast thinks I...
    Then I noticed the rapids were in 25%

My new Horizontal rapids (And cuts) at close to 2000ipm.

Mark
    The service guy just left. 9 hours to realign the thing. It took a hit...
    Bumped the wedges on the trucks. Put it all back together and it has less than a tenth across the turret, and the same in runout on the spindle.
    The roundy holders are about a half thou in Y
    I think that ought to work well....
    I am learning a lot about how to fix an sL10 though....

Gold Member
    [QUOTE=PBMW;455141]Yea Geof, think about doing that at 1430ipm...../QUOTE]

But worrying about the rapids is not really logical, it is that many, many pounds of spinning mass that is going to do the damage whether you rapid into it or feed into it.

But logic does not do away with the tight feeling in the gut sometimes.

Page 2 of 4 1234