584,865 active members*
4,940 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Whoops

Page 3 of 3 123
    Geof,
    It is still sitting on the bench, I have a big job that I need to finish before I tear the machine down to install it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the zero return problem, can you elaborate on that. How much faster is the turret? Is the tail stock clearance an issue? The one thing I noticed is the shims are not fixed to the turret so I would need to mark their location as I switch from the turret to gang tool or Aloris fairly often. Is the new turret as simple to disconnect as the old style?

Mark Hockett

Zero return problem....not really a problem just an inconvenience; with the original turret I could turn the power on, hit Reset and then Auto Restart and it would home the X and Z and the toolchanger to position 1. Now I have to stand there and do all three individually using Zero Return and Single Axis.

I think you will find it is not as easy to disconnect and take off as the original version; many more connections to undo.

Cannot say anything about the tailstock, I only use it once every blue moon.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Found a 'design defect' today; see picture.

Parting tool holders hang down a bit below the slot in a tool holder; far enough down to hit the cover over the servo drive. It makes a horrible noise when it is jammed; no damage though and a milling machine quickly chewed a bit off the bottom of the parting tool holder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parting.jpg  
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I wish I was as lucky as you. lol I did that with an SL-30BB bolt-on style turret. I forgot to touch off T6 and ran it into the chuck spinning ~1500rpm. (nuts) I now have a custom 11 tool station turret. Mangled it so good the boring bar holder bolts won't thread in properly and there is a nice taper for the 1st inch of the od tool slot! Machine was only 6-7 months old at the time. Kick myself in the ass every time I set a job up.

Page 3 of 3 123