502,789 active members
3,896 visitors online
Register for free
Login

Thread: Whoops

Page 4 of 4 234
    Gold Member
    I'm glad you're doing well enough to have to worry about more machines!!

Meanwhile, we submitted our proposal for the TL-2...but with the budget getting chopped,,or should I say minced, we're not holding our breath.

Took seriously your caveats, but still felt the machine would fit nicely into our niche.

We do have the money for and are going to get a new Bridgeport..looking forward to that! (it'll be my 4th new one...)

Registered
    Hey Geof
    Those minus signs come in handy sometimes..........LOL
    At least you did not get your head knuckled.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

Gold Member
    I guess I did wallop it hard; it moved the headstock! Two thousandths on the diameter over 6 inches. Loosening three of the bolts and a few whacks with a plastic hammer brought it to slightly less than 0.0004" over 6 inches and I left it at that; I am getting too old and lazy to be a perfectionist.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    Geof,
    My new turret is still sitting on the bench....
    Is it still sitting on the bench?

The servo driven one is definitely faster, but I am absolutely paranoid about pulling the same trick. I have gone so far as to change my programming style; habitually I programmed with production in mind where seconds count, so I nearly always started the spindle and then followed this with a rapid approach to the starting position. With Spindle No Wait turned on the machine moves the axes while the spindle comes up to speed. Now I am doing the move to the starting position before turning on the spindle; this way if I insist on banging the tool into the chuck at least the chuck is not spinning.

One minor inconvenience to the servo tool changer is that they disabled Auto Restart in the software. Now it is necessary to zero each axis individually using Zero Return and Single Axis.

But at least I am back at work making the world's longest bar feed; actually a tube feed 24 feet long.

Registered
    Geof,
    It is still sitting on the bench, I have a big job that I need to finish before I tear the machine down to install it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the zero return problem, can you elaborate on that. How much faster is the turret? Is the tail stock clearance an issue? The one thing I noticed is the shims are not fixed to the turret so I would need to mark their location as I switch from the turret to gang tool or Aloris fairly often. Is the new turret as simple to disconnect as the old style?

Mark Hockett

Gold Member
    Zero return problem....not really a problem just an inconvenience; with the original turret I could turn the power on, hit Reset and then Auto Restart and it would home the X and Z and the toolchanger to position 1. Now I have to stand there and do all three individually using Zero Return and Single Axis.

I think you will find it is not as easy to disconnect and take off as the original version; many more connections to undo.

Cannot say anything about the tailstock, I only use it once every blue moon.

Gold Member
    Found a 'design defect' today; see picture.

Parting tool holders hang down a bit below the slot in a tool holder; far enough down to hit the cover over the servo drive. It makes a horrible noise when it is jammed; no damage though and a milling machine quickly chewed a bit off the bottom of the parting tool holder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parting.jpg  

Registered
    I wish I was as lucky as you. lol I did that with an SL-30BB bolt-on style turret. I forgot to touch off T6 and ran it into the chuck spinning ~1500rpm. (nuts) I now have a custom 11 tool station turret. Mangled it so good the boring bar holder bolts won't thread in properly and there is a nice taper for the 1st inch of the od tool slot! Machine was only 6-7 months old at the time. Kick myself in the ass every time I set a job up.

Page 4 of 4 234