5,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Whoops

Page 2 of 3 123
    Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Why yes, Yes it is...
    Jim,
    Not only is the Daewoo faster it also make more parts because it doesn't break down as much right?
    Jim, BTW I delivered a bunch of fraser's parts on Tuesday, I will be done with my end of it next Wed.

Mark Hockett

I did remove the apron; I think the servos would poop out trying to drive the rack that fast.

And I think a Daewoo would would double scary.

On production stuff to save time a sometimes program for very close tool changes, 0.2" clearance is just as good as 2" and on parts with many toolchanges the seconds do add up. But the first time I press the green button with the Rapids at 100% and Single Block turned off, after proving everything, I still get that tense feeling.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yea Geof, think about doing that at 1430ipm.
    when I first got my Daewoo, I was running a little brass job, put and take job, had the door open and pushed the go button. Man oh man is this thing fast thinks I...
    Then I noticed the rapids were in 25%

My new Horizontal rapids (And cuts) at close to 2000ipm.

Mark
    The service guy just left. 9 hours to realign the thing. It took a hit...
    Bumped the wedges on the trucks. Put it all back together and it has less than a tenth across the turret, and the same in runout on the spindle.
    The roundy holders are about a half thou in Y
    I think that ought to work well....
    I am learning a lot about how to fix an sL10 though....

[QUOTE=PBMW;455141]Yea Geof, think about doing that at 1430ipm...../QUOTE]

But worrying about the rapids is not really logical, it is that many, many pounds of spinning mass that is going to do the damage whether you rapid into it or feed into it.

But logic does not do away with the tight feeling in the gut sometimes.

[quote=Geof;455173]
    Quote Originally Posted by PBMW View Post
    Yea Geof, think about doing that at 1430ipm...../QUOTE]

But worrying about the rapids is not really logical, it is that many, many pounds of spinning mass that is going to do the damage whether you rapid into it or feed into it.

But logic does not do away with the tight feeling in the gut sometimes.
    Amen to that.....
    I used to program an Okuma crown fro a friend. He didn't know much about code. I'd rapid to about .02 off a face. Drove him nutz.....

[quote=PBMW;455240]
    Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post

Amen to that.....
    I used to program an Okuma crown fro a friend. He didn't know much about code. I'd rapid to about .02 off a face. Drove him nutz.....
    SADIST.

Well I finally received my replacement turret; a two day delivery that took ten days.

And the box contains???? A full retrofit kit for a servo driven four position tool turret??? With instructions for the 'simple' installation involving new boards in the control cabinet, parameter changes, etc. My brain is too old for this, I will come back after getting hold of my local Haas rep to find out what gives.

I think it would have been a much more better idea to have not crashed the machine in the first place.

Why do I always think of the correct solution to my problems too late?

Geof,
    I also ordered a new turret last week and was told they no longer support the old style turret and were sending me the new servo driven turret.

The only thing that sucks is I had this really nice coolant system designed that had nozzles that rotated with the turret and only the tool working had coolant, like an SL-10. Now I will have to design a new coolant system to work with the servo driven turret.

Mark Hockett

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    ...The only thing that sucks is I had this really nice coolant system designed...Mark Hockett
    Ditto, almost. My system is not sophisticated enought to rotate with the turret but it will need a redesign.

I hope the tool change time has been speeded up enough that all this aggravation is compensated out.

Geof,
    Haas told me that this new turret is much faster and also much stronger where the tool mounts, my old turret had a .004" dip in the tool slot which made it very hard to use drill, reamers and taps.

They also told me that we need to be careful when turning small diameter, under .5", parts using the tail stock, the servo sticks out and can hit the tail stock. We just need to extend the tail stock quill out further. This does not bother me as I have never turned anything that small using the tail stock, I rarely use the tail stock anyway.

Mark Hockett

Fortunately I live in a flat area so there are no cliffs I can throw myself off. The new, upgraded, fancy dandy, TL turret driven by servo motor and much much faster, is installed, and doesn't work yet!!!! Somehow or other the Parameters that came with the install kit, or the software, or something doesn't work.

Haas I am not impressed, maybe you are the biggest North American manufacturer of CNC machines, but I do wish you could get things going the first time. Please. Pretty Please, Pretty Please With Sugar On It.

Geof,
    My new turret is still sitting on the bench. I think I will wait until they have yours worked out before call Selway to install the software on mine. I have had enough problems with Selway, I really want them to have a fighting chance to get this job done right the first time so they have a chance to redeem themselves in my shop.

Mark Hockett

Wow. Sorry that happened.

Mark;

When you get it installed and running I think you will be happy; the indexing is so much faster.

But getting everything sorted out will probably lead to a lot of hair tearing.

It seems to depend on the machine serial number what software version needs to be loaded. Apparently mine needed something that was not a general release version (or something). Also it seems the list of Parameters that come with the retrofit kit may not be quite right in all instances. The technician doing mine had already done a couple and had spent days sorting out them, mine only took about two hours.

I am really going to try hard to avoid a repeat.

Geof,
    I'm reminded of an old Hardinge ASM-5C my dad bought back in the late 60's...one of their first "automatics"
    A combination of electric/hydraulic/pneumatic logic and power....a perfect recipe for disaster.

The turret would randomly index, usually during a stock feed...collet open, bar stock flying into a rotating turret....ouch.

Ok, so I got elected to fix it...over and over...

The Hardinge manual for turret removal (to replace the index pawl) starts on page 18 (page numbers approximate, we're running from memory)....

page 18 step 1. Follow steps 1 thru 4 on page 14
    page 14 step 1. Follow steps 1 thru 4 on page 12
    page 12 step 1. Follow steps 1 thru 4 on page 8
    page 8 step 1. Follow steps 1 thru 4 on page 2.

Really. It really did that.

My dad finally called Hardinge after a factory guy had been out twice and couldn't fix it. Hardinge said sell it and buy a new one...which it already had been.

I ended up figuring out an electrical bypass to lock out indexing ...but by then we were so disgusted. We sold it in another 6 months.

Don't these companies understand that service is a critical part of the buying decision?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    ......Don't these companies understand that service is a critical part of the buying decision?
    I think Haas has become complacent with their success and I think they take advantage of the fact that once you have laid out a big packet of money for a machine you are trapped. I am essentially trapped into Haas because I cannot suddenly run out and replace twenty machines with another make.

My local Haas dealer is really very good especially the service technician who does what is needed to get things going, and overall I am happy with Haas machines. (Touch wood) I have some machines that have done thousands of hours without needing any service.

I must be satisifed; machine number twenty is on a truck on its way here as I type and twenty one is in the quote stage.

I'm glad you're doing well enough to have to worry about more machines!!

Meanwhile, we submitted our proposal for the TL-2...but with the budget getting chopped,,or should I say minced, we're not holding our breath.

Took seriously your caveats, but still felt the machine would fit nicely into our niche.

We do have the money for and are going to get a new Bridgeport..looking forward to that! (it'll be my 4th new one...)

Hey Geof
    Those minus signs come in handy sometimes..........LOL
    At least you did not get your head knuckled.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

I guess I did wallop it hard; it moved the headstock! Two thousandths on the diameter over 6 inches. Loosening three of the bolts and a few whacks with a plastic hammer brought it to slightly less than 0.0004" over 6 inches and I left it at that; I am getting too old and lazy to be a perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockett View Post
    Geof,
    My new turret is still sitting on the bench....
    Is it still sitting on the bench?

The servo driven one is definitely faster, but I am absolutely paranoid about pulling the same trick. I have gone so far as to change my programming style; habitually I programmed with production in mind where seconds count, so I nearly always started the spindle and then followed this with a rapid approach to the starting position. With Spindle No Wait turned on the machine moves the axes while the spindle comes up to speed. Now I am doing the move to the starting position before turning on the spindle; this way if I insist on banging the tool into the chuck at least the chuck is not spinning.

One minor inconvenience to the servo tool changer is that they disabled Auto Restart in the software. Now it is necessary to zero each axis individually using Zero Return and Single Axis.

But at least I am back at work making the world's longest bar feed; actually a tube feed 24 feet long.

Page 2 of 3 123