584,849 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

how do I get a good waveform on my laptop

hellow I just downloaded the mach 3 on my laptop but when i go intal the driver test to check the system I was first gettin a crazy wave form then I whent into the SPECIAL DRIVER.BAT and install that one then try testing it again and know I get NO wave form on the screen does anyone know what I can do to get a good wave form

What is the processor speed and ram?

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    What is the processor speed and ram?
    I am not really a computer person but how do i figure it out or where do I look that up

If your using XP, and probably Vista, goto the START menu ==> CONTROL PANEL ==> PERFORMANCE AND MATIENCE ==> SYSTEM and it should tell you the processor speed and RAM down near the bottom.

If your using XP, and probably Vista, goto the START menu ==> CONTROL PANEL ==> PERFORMANCE AND MATIENCE ==> SYSTEM and it should tell you the processor speed and RAM down near the bottom.
    ok looked it up and this is what it said, its a microsoft windows XP, AMD athlon 64 processor, 797MHZ, 512MB of ram. by the way thanks for helping me. I really want to get my mill running.

Quote Originally Posted by cob View Post
    ok looked it up and this is what it said, its a microsoft windows XP, AMD athlon 64 processor, 797MHZ, 512MB of ram. by the way thanks for helping me. I really want to get my mill running.
    Too slow, you need a computer with a faster processor. 2.4g is the minimum, your at about 1/3 of that. I run a computer that's 3.6gig processor and 1gig of RAM, had a friend build it from scratch, just went to MicroCenter and bought everything that was on sale, ended up costing about $300. I think you can get a refurbished tower for about $200 that will work, check MicroCenter's website and ebay.

MC

can this be done

hellow again since my laptop is not fast enough is there a way that I can just program on different cam system like mastercam and just send the g codes without using a controller screeen. is that posible.

There are cheaper and easier controllers out there. Maybe DeskNC or something like that? I know there were quite a few years ago, but I think Mach put most of them out of business. Do a google seach and find one that runs under DOS which will require A LOT less processor simply because it won't be as graphical and you won't be running the "Windows XP virus"

MC

can some one tell me what I am doing wrong

Too slow, you need a computer with a faster processor. 2.4g is the minimum, your at about 1/3 of that. I run a computer that's 3.6gig processor and 1gig of RAM, had a friend build it from scratch, just went to MicroCenter and bought everything that was on sale, ended up costing about $300. I think you can get a refurbished tower for about $200 that will work, check MicroCenter's website and ebay.

MC
    hellow again
    i know switch to a tower pc and this is what is what this one says pentium (R) 4cpu 3.20GHz, 320GHz, 504MB of ram. so I downloaded the mach 3 and it crash my computer, so I did like the tutorial said load the other program called special driver.bat then I ran the driver test again and know it will not give me a wave form at all. does any know what I am doing wrong or is this pc not fast enough.

What kinda "waveform" are you talking about? The drivertest puts out information in the DRO's and the waveform is better the flatter it is! If it's a flat line your in good shape!

When did your computer crash? After tying to run MACH, During the install or just loading MACH after rebooting from the install? Is it XP?

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    What kinda "waveform" are you talking about? The drivertest puts out information in the DRO's and the waveform is better the flatter it is! If it's a flat line your in good shape!

When did your computer crash? After tying to run MACH, During the install or just loading MACH after rebooting from the install? Is it XP?

TOM CAUDLE
    www.CandCNC.com
    I install mach and ones it installed I didnt reboot i also installed lazy cam and some other program. everything was fine it install all 3 programs, but after rebooting mach it just crash my computer, so then the computer restarted then I went to my mach files and ran the driver test it say complete but it just will not show any waveforms at all. it is an xp, so can you tell what I am doing wrong.

go into the mach folder and click on "special driver"
    that should resolve the crashing issue
    i had mach run on a pc with 550mhz with 256 ram and had absolutely no problem ,its now connected to my kids cnc , ive tryed mach on 2 different laptops and both sent a choppy signal (ran like crap) , the one laptop is 1.8ghz with 512 ram .

from what i have gathered and understand is laptops tend to send a weaker signal .
    correct me if i'm wrong but with the minimal research that ive done on the subject thats the impression ive gotten

you could try emc2 on your laptop , you can get the live cd so you can test it without having to do an install
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    go into the mach folder and click on "special driver"
    that should resolve the crashing issue
    i had mach run on a pc with 550mhz with 256 ram and had absolutely no problem ,its now connected to my kids cnc , ive tryed mach on 2 different laptops and both sent a choppy signal (ran like crap) , the one laptop is 1.8ghz with 512 ram .

from what i have gathered and understand is laptops tend to send a weaker signal .
    correct me if i'm wrong but with the minimal research that ive done on the subject thats the impression ive gotten

you could try emc2 on your laptop , you can get the live cd so you can test it without having to do an install
    can you tell what is emc2 and how does it work, also I swicht the installation to my pc tower that is faster but it still didnt give me any waveform

emc2 http://www.linuxcnc.org/ same type of thing as mach but on a linux os

ive never paid any attention to the waveform so i'm sorry i can t help you there
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Thanks to everyone for helping with the mach software it downloaded I dont know if it is to its set up to its fullest perfection . but once I set up my 25 pin to the controller then I open up mach then I press jog and it did move my XAXIS and also moved my YAXIS so thanks to everyone. :wee:

If when running the special driver program, if you have "no wave form", that is probably as good as it gets. I have a 3.6g and 1gig RAM and I just get a flat line, was told it's perfect.

The other thing is, when you do the initial install on Mach3 IT IS CRITICAL that your reboot immediatly! They even say that the system can become unstable and crash if you do not reboot immediatly following install.

Good Luck!
    MC

Cool Slower Machines OK

I ran my SX3 using Mach3 on a 600MHz HP (found on hard rubbish collection) with 384MB ram by reducing the maximum feed rates to 1500mm/min (60 IPM) using XP Pro SP2 with no problems.
    You can make it go faster if you use Win2000.
    I now use a 1.4GHz junk box, with 512MB Ram on Win2000 at 45KHZ with no limitations.
    XP uses too many resources too often. That's why you need a fast box.
    With Win2000 my machine is networked, still running AVG anti virus with no noticeable effect on machine performance.
    Don't hit a golf ball with a cricket bat.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

i didn t have much problem pushing in upwards of 1200 ipm with mine , i just ran xp lean , anything that wasn t directly needed to run cnc was stripped out of the system ,

i wouldn t recommend running an old piecea crap but if its all a guys got to sacrifice for the cause ,then so be it