585,930 active members*
3,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Starting My own CNC

Hi all as quite a few others have said, I have been lurking around for a few weeks and decided to make my own machine.
    I would like to say thanks for all the great info everyone has put on this site.

I was given 3 25' and 15'' linear motion rail. They are basically 8020 type extrusions with 25 series linear mounted inside a cog belt positions a aluminum piece mounted to the rail. The positional spec was .005 so I figure I am in fat city.

I am cutting up the extrusion to make the rest of my machine which will have an 4'x8' table. The X axis will be two of the rails cut down to 10' and some change. The Y axis has 53" of travel the Z axis 12". I am using Acme screws for both.

I plan on the xylotex 4 axis 425oz motors, and a DL05 plc for my e-stop and some of the limits/homes. I will also be purchasing Mach 3 for the control.

I still have a few things to figure out, I hope to get started on it this weekend, if the honeydo's don't get in the way again.

Thanks
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyCNC_Machine.jpg   MyCNC_Machine001.jpg  

With those parts it looks like you are off to a good start. Keep us updated with pics.

Jason

Still working on it

Hi all
    Got most of the parts made yesterday. I love freebies. After spending 4 hours cutting out the uprights for the gantry from 1/2" aluminum with a jig saw, I got a friend at work to allow me to use the VF4 Haas. Goes much faster with the Haas.
    I now am only missing some bolts 4 cogged pulleys for the X axis and the acme screw which is ordered.
    Hopefully will see them by the end of the week. I have to figure out cabling for the motors now and connectors to plug into the old computer case I have as well as for the limit switches.

Here is the cost of my build so far.

Linear rails and Bearings Free
    8020 extrusions Free
    PLC DL05 $75.00 Ebay
    Mach 3 $159.00
    Xylotex $380.00
    Scrap aluminum $131.00
    Bolts $18.35
    Linear Bearing $98.25 (my wife cleaned the garage and tossed one of them) Applied
    Acme Screw and bearings $112.40 (ordered a Nook precision acme screw) Applied

Glenn

Finally Have some pics to show

So I am getting close enough to start seeing the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GantryEndView.jpg   GantryonSawHorses.jpg   MotorAssembled.jpg   MotorConversion56C.jpg  

TableFrame.jpg  

The assembled Frame with Gantry

Just Some more pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Millass_outside.jpg   Assembly_Inside.jpg   Xmotor.jpg   YmotorMounted.jpg  

Looks nice

Is that a boston gear box with a stepper motor attached?

Is your main table going to be T-slot config? Keep up the good work and post lots of pics I don't think thier can ever be enough pics of the ingenious things people around here come up with.

Slowanimtion
    It is a Dayton 5:1 speed reduce w/ 0 backlash according to the numbers.

It had a 1/2 hp 3 ph motor that use to power it. I still have yet to run the motors under power, so I will have to see what happens.

The table top will be 2 sheets of MDF epoxied together with a grid pattern for 1/4" foam seal to seal of areas. I am copying a table top from MultiCAM and Onsrud. I will use 2 shop vac to supply the vacuum to hold the parts.
    Once again will see if this will work. I tried a little test using one and a varnished MDF with the gasket material it was pretty tough to move the part.

I hopefully will get to work on it in the next few nights. I was on a trip and the honeydo list got long again.:tired:

Not sure what kinda vacs your using but if you can't pull enough vac try checking out some a roots blower. One of the old foundry guys I know degasses some serious castings with one, makes a heck of a racket, definatley need hearing protection. But that is one serious industrial vac... not sure what they run but you could probably find one on ebay.

Other than that sounds like a good design, and Dayton gear boxes look pretty much the same as the boston, we have both at work and they seem to hold up pretty well...

PLC Programmed and Stepper ran

I got the plc program done for the DL05 last night and tested a stepper motor with out being hooked up. It jogged back and forth still needs to be tuned but at least I have some more forward momentum on this project.

I will try and post screen shots of the plc program and the brain in Mach that I made to run the plc tonight.

I have to cut about 80 cap stone this week end to finish a project for the misses so not sure if I will get time to wire up the machine this weekend. :violin:

Glenn

Finally get to work on it again this weekend

After dealing with a lung infection I get to work on it this weekend I have yet to get the screen shots of the brain and plc but plan on it this weekend.

Have been looking for wire at all the hardware stores and even a commercial electrical store, Comman theme we can order that but it comes in 500 ft roll. Home Depot has the shield-stranded 4 wire 18 ga in 500' rolls in stock but at $168.00 is more than I can afford.

At work we have a UL list electrical shop so I got with the head electrician and a Electrical engineer they looked at my set up and said shieled was not necessary. My limit switches will only come with in 2" for the last 6" of length. The stepper cables are 1" apart at all times except where they will connect at the drives/

I also came across this articlehttp://machinedesign.com/ContentItem...icalnoise.aspx . It provided some insight as well.

So based on that I am going to use the flat 4 wire 16ga that is used for trailers. The size is over kill but because it is flat it will flex better I am told.

Glenn

Great stuff Glenn. Keep up the good work. This is a new interest of mine as I am looking to make a 8x4 or 10x5 table myself however I am looking to make it universal so I can use it as a router, plasma or basically anything I want to bolt onto it. It’s good to see all the pics as I am still on the drawing board. I am a fitter and turner by trade so the parts and table manufacture side or things are fine but the software, PLC, and tuning are all new to me so I will be out pick some of your brains when I get to this stage. Keep the pics flowing in and keep up the inspiring work. Mark!

Mark
    Thank you, I have not taken any more pictures. I keep forgetting to take the camera over to the shop I am using. I ran all of the axis this weekend and am reasonably happy with the way things are running. I have to get all of the limits and home switches mounted.

My original plan was to have it be a router and plasma both but the way the wiring is now it could burn with the plasma.

With the material I received to did not make sense to make it any smaller than the 4'x8' table size. However now I have no place at home to put it now.

Glenn

Ran the RoadRunner Code

Got all the limits wired and the homes mostly wired.

The way my wires are run on along the X axis while it worked for the first night today it got hotter the plastic expanded and it kept laying over.
    Have to save up for E-chain.

The X axis is set to 125ipm the Y axis is set to 75 ipm up from 35 when I first started it. The Z axis is running 75 as well.

The roadruner code ran with a pencil in the router.

Thanks
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ViewFromBack.JPG   Control.JPG   #2Xaxis.JPG   MotorCable.JPG  

ZaxiswRouter.JPG   YaxisHomeLimit.JPG  

Cut today

Actually cut the Roadrunner in some plywood today.

Then was finishing screwing down the table top put a screw right through my X axis wire. Fortunatly things were off but did not found it till I went to move the X axis down to the other end.

Things to do still get the X axis home switches mounted rebolt down table top make front cover for control box and make e-chain or find some any way.

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FirstTrueCuts.JPG  

Cut my first usefull part

Finally cut a useful part, after several weeks of not getting much done.
    Cut out the mounting plate to hold the hose for my dust collection. I have included a picture from the model still can not seem to remember a camera.

After I cut this out of Plexiglas, I screwed pieces of the brushes you see on semi trailers near the wheels, trimmed them to roughly the same length about 2" long and put in a tube bolted the whole thing to the bottom of my router mount as shown and attached the hose. Works great. Two sides can slide out for tool access.

Then cut the top of the table about 1 hour run time.

Now that that is flat I can cut the links for my e-chain so I don't have to stand there an hold my cable.
    DIY Cable Carrier

Thanks
    Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MyCNC_Machine.jpg  

Dust collection Hood

Some pictures of what I did for dust collection.
    I am cutting out the e-chain for the Y axis in this picture.

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 081608_1504[01].jpg   081608_1523[00].jpg   081608_1504[02].jpg  

DXF's of all the parts

Here are all the DXF's of the parts that I had made or made in case it might help someone else.
    Please feel free to use at your own risk.

Thanks
    Glenn
    Attached Files Attached Files

Finally Got ot work on it again

Was able to take two weeks off at the end of the year so was able to get back to work on my machine. Put a grid on the table and used a shop vac.

Works great to hold down plexi glass and wood.

I used just door seal material from Home Depot 3/16 x 3/8. The glue is too sticky.

Thanks and have a good New Year

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Table1.jpg   Table2.jpg  

Impressive machine you got there. Wish I had the space to attempt something like that.

Page 1 of 2 12