Register for free
Login

AB Servo AC Motor Setup

CAT NO. MPL-A430P-HJ22AA
    5000 Max RPM
    16.8 Peak Amps
    230V 3Phase
    0-333 HZ

I want to build a 2 axis table for plasma or router using these motors, along with these motors are matching 10:1 reducers. What type of controller would I use? I have some understanding as I have trouble shooted a cnc table before, but that was with tech support telling me what to do. The mechanical side I can figure out, but the electrical from the computer to the motors has got me lost. I am familiar with bobcad for programing if that matters. I also plan to use an old laptop computer to run this. This is a hobby based machine so speed is not important.

Unfortunately you question cannot be answered in a few line response, I would suggest you investigate the Mach forum here and the Mach Yahoo user group and Mach web site for the PC controller.
    For drives, for Mach you need step/direction, check out Gecko, Granite, Larken Viper for a few.
    There is a vast amount of posts here that cover the subject.
    BTW, for a router table you may need a 3 axis table, as it is useful to control the Z axis.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Some quick answers on your motors...
    You will not be able to use Geckos, since you stated your motors are 3phase. Geckos can only control DC servos and steppers.
    Since you are in the Granite forum, I assume you are wanting to use the VSD-A drives. They "should" work, except they can only output up to 120vac into 3phse servos. This is due to the VSD-A's max recommended input DC voltage of 180vDC, and then when converting to AC for output, that gets divided down by approximately 1.4, or ~120vac.

What is the mV/rpm^-1 (or V/Krpm) rating on the motors? 5000rpm max, but what is the "rated" RPM? If you can find the V/Krpm (how many volts it takes to turn 1000 RPM) Then you can plan accordingly for expected RPM range when using a VSD-A.

16.8amp peak is good, since that is also about the max amp output of a VSD-A, so no torque losses to be expected there.

Hope this helps some...